Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page > Best way to travel from NS to PEI
Notices

Best way to travel from NS to PEI

Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Best way to travel from NS to PEI

We will be doing a spur of the moment trip to NS [first time] and would like to do a day trip to PEI.

What is the best way to get from one place to the other, and the approximate times it takes to do them?

Stupid question, I am sure, but I always feel like it is better to ask.

Also...any 'do not miss this' spots on PEI? I am a Lucy Maud Montgomery fan from way back...but would only spend a minimal time in anything touristy like that...I think.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Aug 23rd, 2004, 07:36 PM
BAK

Prince Edward Island "dfoes" three things. Grows potatoes. CAtches seafood. Welcomes tourists.

So unless you're a big fan of potatoes, you're pretty much stuck with the touristy things, including eating the seafood that gets caught.

Going to PEI from Nova Scotia depends on where in Nova Scotia you are starting from. It's over 200 miles from Halifax to Charlottetown, via the ferry, and,of course, that far back again, plus you'll want to drive some more on PEI.

That makes for a very long day trip, if you are starting from Halifax.

If you can arrange it, and you are fly9ng, fly into Moncton, rent a car, drive to PEI over the bridge, visit PEI, drive to Nova Scotia via the Woods Island - Caribou ferry, and continue on to Halifax. And then fly home from Halifax.

If you choose to fly from Halifax to Prince Edward Island and back in one day, you'll need a car rental in PEI to get around to the intresting places. including PEI National Park on the north shore.

Youmight think about taking day trips from Halifax to the area called the south shore, which is south west of Halifax, including Chester, Lunenberg, Liverpool, and even all the way to Yarmouth.

And on another day, head north-east along the coast.

BAK
Aug 23rd, 2004, 09:36 PM

Skip PEI!
Aug 25th, 2004, 12:29 PM

No, don't skip PEI! It really is different from NS. Follow BAK's suggestions and spend a day (or 2) on PEI. It's has very pretty pastoral countryside and just like NS the natives are most friendly. Also, it's fairly small so you can drive around and see most of the place in a day or two.

Search this Thread