Best time of year for Toronto

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best time of year to visit Toronto and Niagara (and also possibly extending this to Montreal)?

I don't mind the weather being cold but I prefer to avoid times when the sky is grey and dreary.

November through March seem to suffer the coldest conditions. I've heard that July and August can get quite humid too (although I assume it's not actually that hot). So I am thinking May or September may be a good in-between time. Is this a busy season?

It looks like rainfall is pretty uniform throughout the year so I have not really attempted to factor this in.

Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 07:12 AM

Dave, sounds like you've done your homework! You are quite right in thinking May or September would be the best. July and August can be very hot. I don't know where you are coming from, but, yes, it can be VERY hot and humid and so uncomfortable.
In May or June you will have the longer days, so that would be my choice. But Sept is beautiful too.
Good luck and enjoy Toronto.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 07:17 AM

HI Dave, me again. I just read another of your posts and realize you are from London. I have met many British people that have visited in July and August and could not believe how hot and humid it can be here. So do stick to May June or September. And it won't be as crowded too.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kodi

Many thanks for your reply - that's just the sort of information I was looking for.

I was surprised to hear about the heat and humidity you experience in the summer months and I am happy to work around these times as I assume this is a busy tourist season with the school holidays etc.

Thanks again.
Dave
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:55 AM

I agree with Kodi's comments, although I would also point out that it can be surprisingly cold and rainy in early May. Perhaps late May would improve the odds - and even in early June you're usually safe from the stifling humidity that we get later on.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:56 AM
JMM

May, June or September definitely. July and August can be stiflingly hot and humid. Temps in middle 30s (90s F) are not unusual. Mid July to mid August are usually the most hot and humid. Early May can have a bit more rain as can late September. The middle of May to the middle of June is usually about the nicest in my opinion. Late August to mid-September can also be quite nice.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 05:53 PM

Just another agreement to the previous comments. I visited Toronto in mid June and spent most of a day in Niagara Falls. I think this is a good time to go. Its not too cold nor too hot. As far as hotels go, you will find the rates higher as this is considered peak season. Hope this assist you in your decision.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 07:04 PM
nkh

I would add my agreement for June, especially if you are interested in some of the outdoor attractions.

You can check with their websites, possibly toronto.com or a good guidebook to make sure but a number of the more "touristy" ones are only open on weekends or not at all before the May 24 weekend (or closest weekend to May 24th) and after labor day (Sept 4th ish).

Check out information on the attractions you want to come to see to figure out if this will apply to you. Art galleries, theatres etc. and at least some of the Niagara Falls activities do not have this restriction.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 09:47 AM

May, June, September, October. Thise are my favourite times in Toronto.

Re: Niagara, if you are planning to attend any theatre in the Niagara region, you should check out the Shaw Festival and book tickets in advance.

The festival runs from May to November, probably when you are planning to come to the area. It is located in Niagara-on-the-Lake ("NOTL&quot, which is a beautiful (but has become more and more commercial) town.

There are many hotels to stay at, but if you are planning on staying overnight, I would check out the Harbour House. My sisters and I did an overnight "retreat" there in October and it was a really wonderful place (small hotel). They serve breakfast on site.

Also, for a great but pricey meal, you could check out Vineland Estates near Jordan, Ontario (about a 20 minute drive from NOTL). Otherwise there are some other decent winery restaurants in town (Hillebrand and Strewn come to mind).

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, that's been a tremendous help.

I'm going to try and pick the best time from end of May, June or September that fits in with work, other planned trips etc.

I expect I'll be back with some more questions in due course once I've settled on some dates!

Thanks again.
Dave
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 05:06 PM

May, June, September, October - definitely!

However, if you don't mind cold weather, the hotel rates are significantly lower in the "off season" and you can stay longer...

Both cities have marvelous full-service hotels, where if the weather is really objectionable, you can enjoy yourself enormously within the hotel (restaurants, cocktail lounges, etc.) and just taxi to other destinations. Especially in Montreal, where so many of the top hotels are connected to the underground.

I wouldn't worry about "busy season" - as the plus here is that there is more going on. July and August "could" be quite hot and humid, but often they're not.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:53 AM

Hi,
I went to Toronto begining of October 2002 and was lucky with weather.
Not to cold and it was not crowded. Everything still open ,did all the usual trips ,Niagara etc.
Great city have fun!
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 03:02 PM

Late September in Niagara means catching the colours of Autumn along the Niagara escarpment. Gorgeous! Make sure to check out some of Canada's award-winning wineries.