Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Best Summer Month to Visit Canadian Rockies (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/best-summer-month-to-visit-canadian-rockies-631847/)

Digbydog Jul 18th, 2006 07:37 AM

Best Summer Month to Visit Canadian Rockies

We are considering visiting the Canadian Rockies next summer and want to pick the best time to go. I am a little nervous about the crowds in the summer, but we are locked into that time. It looks like June is the rainiest month, but is it less crowded then so that it is worth risking the weather? We visited Glacier NP a few years ago in June (their rainy season) and felt like we really didn't see it, because it was cloudy and rainy the whole time we were there. Is there any difference between July and August in terms of crowds? Thanks!

brookwood Jul 18th, 2006 11:03 AM

I have found that early July is ok to go.
Depending on the coldness of the winter, some of the lakes at 5,000 feet and higher may have ice on them. In fact, three years ago we were at Lake McArthur and it was 80% frozen over in early July.

Places like Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, Peyto Lake and some others are going to draw crowds the whole summer season.

There is not much you can do except go early, or late, and run risk of bad weather or go in July and August and put up with the crowds.

One helpful tactic is to avoid places like Lake Louise on weekends when the seem to me to be more crowded.

Digbydog Jul 18th, 2006 01:12 PM

Thanks for the tips Brookwood! Any other opinions?

TobieT Jul 18th, 2006 01:37 PM

We visited one year the last week of August before the holiday weekend in Canada, and while the back to school (shopping etc) rush was on.

It did not seem as busy as when we'd been in July after the Calgary Stampede. But we were still glad to have experienced that!

craig91355 Jul 18th, 2006 08:48 PM

There is no bad month in the Canadian Rockies--some months are just better than others. Our last two trips were during the last week of August and crowds were not a problem. It was overcast with periodic rain showers for much of our trip last August, and it was snowing on the Icefields Parkway when we drove from Jasper to Calgary. The year before, it snowed in Lake Louise Village in late August, but overall the weather was great. It's not worth worrying about the weather--there is nothing you can do about it. If the weather isn't ideal, that just gives us an excuse to go back the following year (and we will be back in August of this year).

murphey Jul 18th, 2006 08:54 PM

Weather in the Rockies is unpredictable. I have been hiking in July and it started to snow, but by the time I got back to my car it was blazing hot.

As far as crowds go, if they bother you then I would spend more time in Jasper than Banff. Banff is always crowded. I admit I am very biased though as I much prefer Jasper. Banff is definately more touristy, while Jasper caters more to the outdoorsy/nature loving crowd, which is not to say it is not also touristy, but much less so than Banff.

tom22 Jul 18th, 2006 10:30 PM

I visited the Rockies in June, August and September.

My favorite month is the late September (nice colors, lot's wildlife, cool temperatures, nice snow caped mountains).

June is also nice (not busy and lot's of wildlife). We saw many bears with cubs, but we had daily rain showers and sometimes thunderstorms.

August was warm and cool at the same time. We had one night with snow fall in Banff. All side roads were open.
We saw less wildlife than in other months.

ltt Jul 19th, 2006 06:29 AM

my recommendation is always september. but, if your only option is june-august, i would choose the first week of july or the last week of august.

Digbydog Jul 19th, 2006 04:23 PM

Thanks all for your recommendations!! Unfortunately, late August is not an option, as our oldest son will be starting college.