Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best route from PEI to Cape Breton Island

Old Sep 2nd, 1998, 08:39 AM
Fran

What are the pros and cons of taking the ferry or the bridge between Prince Edward Island and Cape Breton? This would be at the beginning of Oct.

Old Sep 2nd, 1998, 07:28 PM
bob brown

Why not take the ferry one way and the bridge the other???

Having taken several ferries, I must admit that watching the water gets old after a while. But it is a short trip.
And if you don't take many ferries, you might find the ship experience interesting. I did for the first two or three times. Cape Breton is interesting.
Visit Louisbourg Fortress if you can; and take a whale watching cruise, but do it from the tip of the Cape. We took one from Cheticamp and never got out of the sight of land. But, yes, we did see a few pilot whales.

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 06:32 AM
Maggi

We took the ferry to Cape Breton because it saved a lot of driving time and distance. It did cost us money for the fare, but time was more important for us. But a note of caution, get to the ferry early because in August there was a long line of cars waiting to get on. We were the last car on. If we hadnt gotten on we would have had to wait in line two hours until the next one.