Best of Stratford?

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best of Stratford?

A newby here.

Heading to Stratford Ontario for a special occasion. Looking for the best of everything. Restaurants. Accommodation. Price is not a concern.

Thanx in advance.

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Stratford is great.

Top restaurants are the Church and Rundles. Their restuarant on Ontario street (main drag) and Erie on the east side - I believe it's called Fellini's which is quite good.

I've stayed at the Festival Inn - typical hotel and a B&B on William Street in a Victorian Italianate home facing the Avon River (don't remember the name)

For excellent pub fair, try Bentley's.
Bentley's also rents suites right on Ontario street in the downtown area.

For coffee and cakes, Balzacs.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 01:01 PM

I wish more people would comment on this, as my wife and I will be in Stratford in late September. For us, price is a factor, but we would just like to know where to eat dinner on the three nights we would be there.
By the way, we are seeing The Tempest and Fallen Angels. Are they good choices? Is Cat on a Hot Tin Roof worth adding?
Thanks for your reply.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 03:40 PM

Cat On the Hot Tin Roof is a definite see. I have not seen the other plays you mentioned.

Bentley's is the place for resonable price, good food and a great beer selection.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 06:29 AM

Other restaurants to consider in Stratford are Pazzo for Italian...upscale upstairs, trattoria downstairs. Keystone Alley Cafe (midrange), Bijou Restaurant (also has a cafe 2 doors down) or Garlic's (also midrange) across from the Avon Theatre. The Church is absolutely fabulous but expensive, so as an alternative The Belfry upstairs offers more reasonable prices while still providing gourmet fare.

As for theatre, The Tempest is William Hutt's farewell performance and he's getting wonderful reviews. I've seen Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and though it was well done with several good performances, I'd recommend Into the Woods if it's playing while you're visiting.

Most of the restaurants mentioned have websites if you want to check the menus and prices. In any case, you're sure to enjoy the dining and theatre experiences in Stratford!
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 12:07 PM

I would recommend the other Tennessee Williams play "Orpheus Descending" over Cat. One reason to see it is it is not often done... but a bigger reason is because it is an great production with incredible performances by Jonathan Goad and Seanna McKenna.

It is my favorite show of the season thus far (I have two still to see- Edward II which I hear is good, and Measure for Measure which sounds like it might give Orpheus a run for its money in the "best of the season" category.)
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:17 AM

We went to Stratford in June. We stayed at a wonderful B&B called The Three Houses. http://www.thethreehouses.com/
The property consists of three completely restored houses and a fabulous private coach house. David, the owner was a joy. The houses are not froo-froo Victorian, but rather beautifully appointed with great furniture and fabulous art. Bathrooms are all brand new white tiled with large showers. There is also a large shared pool. Breakfasts were simple but delicious. This property was very well located and we were able to walk to all theatres.

We enjoyed delicious dinners at The Belfry (right next to Three Houses) and The Old Prune.

We saw Into the Woods - magical, Fallen Angels - fun and light and Hello Dolly -not great.

Enjoy.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 04:56 AM

Another great restaurant across from the Avon Theatre is Carter's. My Mom and I went to Carter's, had a lovely meal and then went to see Fallen Angels. We loved it.
Enjoy.