Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best meeting place between Calgary and Medicine Hat?

Apr 29th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

We will be in Calgary this summer and would like to visit friends in Medicine Hat but it's 3 hrs. each way. Is there a nice place to meet them for lunch that would be about half way? (We'll have our grand daughters with us, ages 13 and 14).Thanks.
Apr 29th, 2005, 10:28 AM

Brooks is the largest town and would offer the best chance of a decent place to eat.
Dinosaur park is slightly north of there and might be worth a visit.

But I don't believe its 3 hours one way to drive there! It is only 185 K or 115 miles on the Trans Canada where the speed limit is around 68 mph - 110 kpg - if I remember correctly. I don't see it taking more than 1 hour and 45 minutes of actual driving time.

At least the official Alberta roadmap gives the distance as 185K.
Apr 29th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Hi Bob,

I don't know which map you're looking at. My Rand McNally map dated 2000 and my Travel Alberta map dated 1983 both give the distance as 293 km.

The Free Trip web site gives the travel time as 3 hours and the distance as 289 km / 179 miles.

However, canuckuphereathome, I agree with bob_brown that Brooks, with a population of 12,000, is the largest town between Calgary and Medicine Hat, and would offer the biggest selection of places to have lunch.

But Brooks is about two-thirds of the way to Medicine Hat, so would take you two hours to drive, whereas it would take your friends one hour to drive. Not an even split.

Bassano is about half way, but it has a population of only about 1,500.

Hidden Valley Golf Resort at Cluny (a village that is not too far from Bassano), if it is open to members of the public, may be an option. Its telephone number is 403-734-3965. I don't know it in person. I found it by doing an Internet search.

If you have not already asked your friends to suggest a meeting place, it might be a good idea to do so. They may have more reason to travel to Calgary than most of us Calgarians have to travel to Medicine Hat, and they may be familiar with places along the way.

Good luck with your mission.
Apr 29th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Judy, I consuslted the official Alberta road map I got last year from Travel Alberta. Unfortunately, I looked in the distance box and I did not add up the figures printed on the map itself until now.

The distance figure in the kilometer chart or box is obviously way off. I got a figure of 290K when I added up the component figures. That is about 180 miles and could easily take 3 hours depending on where to where.

Goes to show that it is best to always go to the source and not some secondary representation. Usually, those summary boxes are correct, but not this time.

I have several of those Alberta maps and the wrong figure is on all of them!!

I guess no one ever told the map publisher about the error or, if he or she did, it was never corrected.

Apr 29th, 2005, 07:51 PM

On behalf of the citizens of Alberta, sorry about that, Bob.

>>>I guess no one ever told the map publisher about the error or, if he or she did, it was never corrected.<<<

I have just sent an e-mail about this error to <[email protected]> . That is the e-mail address they provide on the "Contact Us" page of their web site.

I hope they'll correct the error in the next edition of the map.

I'm still trying to persuade the City of Calgary to improve the sign posting that a driver sees when he / she emerges from Calgary Airport. As it stands now, there is a big sign post with a "2" on it to indicate the way to Hwy #2. However, there is no sign that says, "This way to Banff." Since many air passengers land in Calgary for the sole purpose of getting to Banff, and not to visit Calgary itself, I feel it's incumbent on the City of Calgary to inform them how they can reach Banff as soon as they exit the airport. However, I digress.
Apr 30th, 2005, 09:41 AM

I am rocked back a little by making that error on the map distance. It was my error all the way, no way to duck it.

I like that part of the world, and I go back to Alberta and BC because I enjoy it. Therefore when I make a mistake about Alberta, I am unhappy with myself.

In August, I have plans to return, again to Alberta. We normally stay a few days in Calgary just looking around before heading west to various places.

I have learned my way around Calgary, and when heading west to the Rockies, we go out along McKnight and John Laurie Blvd before turning south to the Trans Canada.

This year we will drive over the Great Divide for a brief stay in Field, BC before we return to Alberta.

The Calgary airport is one of the easiest to use that I know of. The Greenwood Hotel has become a favorite of mine, probably THE favorite of the ones I have used in the US, Canada, and Europe.

Last summer, my son, daughter-in-law, and their 2 boys visited Calgary for the Stampede before driving the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. They had a great time.

I make no bones about it, I keep going back out there because I like to. I have more pleasant memories from my visits to that part of the world than any place else, except parts of the high Alps of Switzerland.

In this case, I think the error was corrected. But I like to think I can do well with map directions! Therefore I don't like it when I mislead. It sure was not intentional!