Search

Ottawa and Thousand Islands

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ottawa and Thousand Islands

Hello,

What would be an ideal split between those two locations? How many nights in each should be good?

In Ottawa they have the tour of Parliament and a few museums. What things to do in each locale are recommended? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention we were thinking of two nights in Ottawa and three in Thousand Islands but should it be reversed?
Old Jan 7th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Anyone have an idea of what is an ideal amount of time to spend in each place Ottawa and Thousand Islands? We welcome ideas of things people really enjoyed doing in each of these places too.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 12:19 PM

The main attraction of the Thousand Islands is taking a scenic boat tour out of Gananoque or Ivy Lea - although I prefer to stay in Kingston a few miles away as it has more choice of hotels, restaurants, shops. Kingston also offers boat tours, but is farther from the actual Thousand Islands so part of the boat time is spent just getting there.

In any event, I would plan on 1 or 2 nights, depending on your arrival and boat tour times. I would spend the extra nights in Ottawa which has a larger variety of attractions. The Canadian Museum of History (formerly Museum of Civilization) and the Canadian Museum of Nature are both excellent. If you like art, The National Gallery is also a must. The Byward Market district is several blocks of specialty food stores, craft stalls, restaurants, cafes and boutiques and a popular tourist destination. A tour of the Parliament Buildings is also popular. If you have a car, you may want to consider taking a drive across the river into Quebec to nearby Gatineau Park - a large area of high hills and lakes with some spectacular views, picnic areas and walking trails. You could either pack a lunch, or stop in the quaint little town of Wakefield Quebec for a lunch and walkabout some of the shops.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 12:53 PM

What month are you thinking of?
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 12:54 PM

I think one night for the Thousand Islands should be enough. Stay in Kingston or Gananoque--Kingston has much more to offer in terms of accommodation, restaurants and sights of interest.
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. We are thinking of going in the summertime.

Has anyone been to Fort Henry in Kingston? I read that it is a world heritage site. How long does it take to explore? A couple of hours or a half day?

Thanks for the suggestion of Gatineau Park. How are the walking trails? Easy enough for seniors to handle?
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 06:19 PM

There are a variety of walking trails. Some are pretty up and down. Others are for relaxed walks. I would think in terms of Pinks Lake trail, Black Lake (a little tougher but a wonderful view) or try visiting McKenzie King Estate. As you get closer to coming I can give you detailed trail and driving directions. I spend a lot of time on those trails in both summer and winter.

Ottawa is a great city for walking or renting a bike. There are miles of bikes paths. There are terrific walking paths down the Rideau Canal to Dows Lake, and behind Parliament Hill.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Colduphere--thanks I would appreciate the detailed trail and driving directions. The website pictures of Gatineau Park look beautiful so looking forward to viewing the scenery. We would need easy trails though for the seniors tagging along with us.

Are there trails near the McKenzie King Estate? How far is the Pink Lake from the Estate? Can we leave the seniors at the visitor center while we walk around the lake if it is too strenuous for them? Don't know how big the visitor center is and whether there are places for them to rest inside.

Which walking paths do you recommend down the Rideau Canal?

Other questions:
What restaurants are recommended for downtown Ottawa? Is the Byward Market area a decent place to find good restaurants? Or are there other recommendations?

Do you recommend the Canadian War Museum or the Canadian History Museum formerly the Museum of Civilization? I understand the history museum is currently undergoing some renovations.

For the Parliament visit, how much time to allow? Are tickets readily available on the day?
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 05:19 AM

Europeannovice - I think I read your name too quickly. For some reason I thought you were from Europe. So I was going to say that some Europeans find some of our forests to be less than impressive - too much softwood and some scrub on the forest floor. But I think I have figured out that you are from the US. I don't know what the woods are like around you.

The hikes below should be considered reasonably easy and doable for most people under 65. For real hikers they would be considered too easy.

I would strongly suggest you download Google Earth if you don't already have it. The roads I mention are all on GE. And if you zoom in far enough you can also see the trail lines and get a sense of the elevation changes. Click on the pictures for a sense of the scenery.

The Gatineau Park is on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River. I don't know where you are staying so this is a bit tricky. The easiest way to find your way is to cross the Portage Bridge which is 1/2 mile down Wellington Street to the left of Parliament Hill as you look at it. At the end of the bridge turn left on to Laurier. Stay on Laurier - it changes to Tache - for 1.5 miles. You will then come to Promenade de la Gatineau. Turn right. Ignore any turnoffs. After about 5 miles you will climb a long hill. At the top is the first Pinks Lake parking lot. Go another 0.5 mile and turn right into the second Pinks Lake lot. The trail around the lake starts on the right (wooden ramp). Most people go around the lake in a clockwise direction. This is not a difficult trail. The trickier parts have wooden stairs built in.

Or you can skip Pinks Lake if you think it is too difficult for the seniors. Drive back down the parking lot road and turn right back on to the parkway. After 3/4 mile you will come to a left turn - Promenade Champlain. Turn left and proceed 1.25 miles to a right turn into the Mackenzie King parking lot. This brochure tells you what you will find there.

http://www.ncc-ccn.gc.ca/places-to-v...-gatineau-park

Yes you could leave part of your group here and return to Pinks Lake. You can also hike around the estate. Or you can return to the Champlain Parkway, turn right and drive two miles to the Black Lake parking lot on your left (at the top of a very long hill). This is where the King Mountain trail starts. It is a circle trail. Counterclockwise is the best way to go - towards the lake to start. Half way around the trail are some flat rocks to sit on which give a great view of the Ottawa Valley. Parts of this trail are a little steeper but stairs have been built in to make things easier in a few spots.

Here is a map of the trail system:

http://www.ncc-ccn.gc.ca/sites/defau...-trail-map.pdf

In the summer I would suggest bug spray. There are lots of other trails. There is a very nice trail starting at P11 on the map that goes around the north side of Meech Lake. But there is a very significant hill about 1/2 mile in that seniors would find difficult on the way back.

Any questions please let me know. I will post about Ottawa walks later today.
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 05:34 AM

Sorry for some reason that first link is one link short of the MacKenzie King information. Here it is:

http://www.ncc-ccn.gc.ca/places-to-v...ie-king-estate
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 10:57 AM

With regard to walking I suggest the following. As you stand on Parliament Hill, straight in front of you is the Centre Block. To your right is the East Block. Behind and to the right of the East Block very close to Wellington Street is a set of about 50 stairs. At the bottom of these stairs you can turn left or right.

If you turn left you go down the hill by a small museum. Cross over the locks (some are easier to walk across than others but they are all safe) to your right. Once across the canal turn left and proceed up a rather steep but short hill. Stay on the paved path up to the road, then turn left and you will find a pedestrian/bike set of lanes to use to cross the Alexandra Bridge. Once across the bridge stay left down to the river beside the Museum of Civilization. You can walk along the river until the path rises up to the Portage Bridge. Cross the bridge. Towards the end on your right you will see stairs leading down to a path along the river right behind Parliament Hill. That brings you back to where you started.

This walk is about 3 miles and IMO is one of the more scenic urban hikes in Canada. Seniors might find crossing the locks, climbing the first hill or the last hill back to the starting point a bit tough.

The other walk is much flatter. It starts at the same spot as the above walk. Turn right and pass underneath Wellington Street. You can then either go down right beside the canal or stay up and pass by the entrance to the National Arts Centre. Either way will bring you to the other side of the Arts Centre. The path then continues all the way down the Rideau Canal to Dows Lake. There are paths on both sides of the canal. I prefer the side you are on at the start as there is more shade and less bike traffic.

You can pick whatever distance you want for this walk by either turning around or crossing one of the bridges. If you walk all the way to Dows Lake and back the distance is about 7 miles.
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the hike/walk recommendations.

Yes Colduphere--We are from the east coast of the US and not from Europe. We have traveled to Yosemite and hiked Sentinel Dome but that was without seniors! That one was marked as an easy trail but the last few steps up by the top of the mountain was not that easy for me. I made it though.

Looking forward to visiting Canada again and Ottawa for the first time.