Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Best condo location for a daily commute to Downsview? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/best-condo-location-for-a-daily-commute-to-downsview-764231/)

horatio Jan 28th, 2009 05:22 PM

Best condo location for a daily commute to Downsview?

Looking for a 1 bedroom condo for a young bachelor....daily commute to work at Downsview(Bombardier)..where would you recommend? Yonge and Eglinton? Davisville? Bay and Dundas too far? I know I can always count on the Toronto experts on this site!!

SusanInToronto Jan 29th, 2009 04:58 AM

Would you be driving or taking transit?

SallyCanuck Jan 29th, 2009 05:42 AM

Not Dundas and Bay.

There's tons of condos in Yonge and Sheppard area - I don't care for the area but it's very for transit, groceries, theatres, etc.

Yonge and Eglinton and as far as Davisville also worth looking at. Same amenities as Sheppard but better.

horatio Jan 29th, 2009 12:30 PM

Yes, there was a big article in a paper in the early summer talking about a new condo owner at Yonge and Sheppard that was advising against purchasing in that area as it was so terribly congested. You are right..Davisville or Yonge and Eglinton might be the best bet.

horatio Jan 29th, 2009 12:31 PM

oops, sorry...probably driving as I don't know even if there is transit right to the destination.

SallyCanuck Jan 29th, 2009 12:43 PM

There's a subway station at Downsview so possibly near work. Lots of buses along Sheppard.

SallyCanuck Jan 29th, 2009 12:46 PM

Bombardier is closer to Wilson station ... a

Michel_Paris Jan 29th, 2009 01:19 PM

One issue about subway access..Yonge-Elginton and Sheppard are on a different line than Wilson, so you would take the bus from Sheppard, or bus/subway combo from Y&E.

In terms of interesting places to live, Y&E would be my first choice of the three.

Michel_Paris Jan 29th, 2009 01:20 PM

If driving every day is the priority, Sheppard would be the most convenient.

horatio Jan 29th, 2009 02:36 PM

And then I guess if both driving and suitable nice living area were both priorities then Yonge and Eg or Davisville?

Michel_Paris Jan 29th, 2009 03:22 PM

Driving from Y&E and/or Davisville will be going against traffic, but will be on city streets. In terms of environment, Y&E has a nickname of Yonge and Eligible...Davisville would be more Family and Not-Eligible. I lived about 1/2 block from Davisville. Nice area, some nice food shops, but more residential, parks nearby. Y&E is lot more active, bars, restaurants, theatres,etc..

horatio Feb 3rd, 2009 02:52 PM

Susan...one more question...what if I were taking transit there??

Gavin Feb 3rd, 2009 06:26 PM

Taking the TTC to Downsview would be easy from downtown...a straight shot on the subway. Since you would be going counter flow you would always get a seat. The real question is do you want to live downtown?

mat54 Feb 3rd, 2009 06:55 PM

Just a comment or a question maybe. Friends lived several years on Davisville then moved to condo around Yonge/Eglinton and it seems to me these aren't terribly far apart (e.g. 10 or 15 minute walk)? That is, when visiting them, we still go to many of the same haunts as before. They both reverse-commute north and northwest and seem OK with this, going against the worst of the traffic. They enjoy the relative proximity to downtown also.

horatio Feb 4th, 2009 03:30 AM

He has lived in the Annex and really liked it...he has lived at Yonge and Eg the past year and really wishes to go back to the old area...not necessarily bloor and brunswick but maybe the Bay/Bloor area..we need to go condo/apartment shopping soon. Maybe the fact that he is still young(23) has something to do with this? I don't know..I live outside the city.

BAK Feb 4th, 2009 06:45 PM

My daughter lived two blocks south of Yonge and Shepard for two years -- 30 year old single woman. Liked the neighborhood well enough.

I drove up Yonge from Shepard to Finch today, paying attention. There are city blocks with nothing but restaurants and bars.

Near Finch, it becomes sort of Korean and Persion -- strange combo.

As for being downtown -- Two subway stops from Finch to Shepard, three if I'm counting right, to Eglinton, and one more to Davisville.

More new condos near Shepherd than farther south.

BAK

horatio Feb 5th, 2009 03:42 AM

Hmm, okay, will drive around too..thanks BAK