Becker Chalet, Pine Bungalows or Paticia Lake Cottages

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2004, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would appreciate comments on these different locations. Looking for a riverside cabin to enjoy with my 17 year old son.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 06:17 PM

stillhouse, I recently posted about Pine Bungalows. It was perfect for my husband and me; peaceful and comfortable, with lovely views of the river and wildlife {elk and deer} occasionally outside our door. We reserved early {around now} for a cabin with kitchen and fireplace directly looking out over the river.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 06:36 PM

Stillhouse, I've been researching those very 3 places for our upcoming trip this summer. All seem fairly comparable, except that Becker Chalets and Pine Bungalows are on a fast-moving river with white water rafting and Patricia Lake Cottages are on a peaceful lake with canoe rentals. I think we're going to pick the cottages on the lake.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 04:51 AM

Laura, we didn't see any white-water rafters during our week at Pine cottages, just a lone kayak. I think that the rafters do go by Beckers, however.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 09:05 AM

My vote's for Becker's - lovely cabins, great hosts and the restaurant is reputed to be excellent (we prefer to do our own cooking so we've never tried it).
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Can anybody provide more detail re: scenery at these locations?

Also, a riverfront cabin at Pine is $135; at Becker's I could spend $140 for a non-riverfront or $180 for a riverfront. Given the rates, what would you recommend?
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 06:32 PM

Becker's Chalets are in a very scenic location. The cabins/chalets are in a clearing in the woods right by a bend in the Athabasca River.
Regardless of which unit you eventually stay in, you will have a view - either to the river and Mt. Kerkeslin, or to Whistler Mountain (with the gondola), or to the mostly pine forest.
And none of the units are more than a couple of minutes walk right down to the river's edge.
In my humble opinion, Becker's are in a better (quieter and more scenic) location than Pine Bungalows.
Since we live only a 3.5 hour drive away, we travel to Jasper very often, and it is our preferred place to stay (other than Jasper Park Lodge).

Note (when making your reservations) that Becker's has both the older more rustic chalets as well as newer more modern chalets with all the amenities (fully equipped kitchen etc.), so you may want to check out the differences before deciding. (The older ones are nearer the river).

Hope this has helped you.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 04:14 AM

All I can add is that after facing the same dilemma you are, my husband and I settled on a riverside cabin at Pine Bungalows and were very pleased.

The cabins, in various sizes and configurations, are set in rows among the pines.As I mentioned, we reserved early for one in the first row, overlooking the river. It was very peaceful and quiet. Every morning we had breakfast looking out over the river. There are benches set next to the river where we enjoyed the sunset. There is a short trail that leads along the river and woods. One morning we woke to see a deer munching right outside our window, and also saw a herd of elk as walked the grounds. There is no restaurant, but it's a short hop into town, and we enjoyed preparing our own food most nights and eating it on the picnic table overlooking the water.As I said, we never saw any whitewater rafters. The people who run Pine Bungalows were very nice. We were very happy there.

Have fun whereever you settle!

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:33 PM

Molly - the whitewater rafters on the Athabasca River bobble and scream by Becker's and around the bend in the river, but stop by the bridge at Old Fort Point, so they don't go as far as Pine Bungalows, and that's why you didn't see any.

Elk and deer are very commonly seen not only around all cabins in the woods, but often in Jasper town as well, especially in early morning or evening. We even saw a moose once, munching on grass at 6 a.m. by Pyramid Lake Resort. We had visitors from Europe with us at the time, and they were absolutely amazed that wildlife was so abundant and so visible, which helped remind those of us (who live close to the mountain parks) that what we see quite often is actually very special and unique.
Thank you visitors!!
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 09:15 PM

Patricia Lake requires a 3 night minimum. I just got a reject from them because I asked for 2 nights. Extend or don't come was the essence of the message.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the advice. I had decided to book at Becker's but the only cabin available with the bedding configuration I needed is close to the road. The person I spoke to kept stressing this. After confering with my 17 year old, we decided to opt for a riverfront cabin at Pine ($135), rather than a roadside cabin ($165) at Becker's. The only thing that makes me pause is having read several comments about critters (mice, squirrels) in the cabins. I don't mind rustic but I'm not sure I want to cohabitate with the wildlife.

Anybody else have this experience?
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 06:06 PM

We have never had problems with mice at Becker's, or with squirrels.

It has been eons since we stayed at Pine Bungalows, but didn't have problems with mice there either.

Believe me, if there had been mice - I would have been outa there!!!
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 03:51 AM

During our week-long stay at Pine Bungalows last summer we never once had any creature {can't even remermber an ant} join us in our cabin! Not to say it couldn't happen; you are surrounded by woods, but I think it'll be fine.