Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page > Bear and Whale Excursions on Vancouver Island

Bear and Whale Excursions on Vancouver Island

Jul 14th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Bear and Whale Excursions on Vancouver Island

I want to surprise my husband with a trip to Vancouver Island via Seattle in about 6 weeks. We live in Dallas and have never been to Canada.

I know we'd both REALLY enjoy some bear sightings and whale sightings and I'm looking for recommendations on certain tours/tour companies to consider.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Jul 14th, 2004, 08:06 PM

The place to do both is Telegraph Cove on northern Vancouver Island-about 7 hours by car from Victoria.
It's a tiny village and you'll have to drive or charter a plane if you're flush.
http://www.stubbs-island.com/ for Whales-the *Grand Old Company* and one of the pioneers in the business-they helped write the book on ethical Whale Watching.
Out of Telegraph Cove one can travel to nearby Knight Inlet to view Grizzly and more common Black Bears.
Knight Inlet is an amazing place that I've only visited once but it's never left my mind.
There are two ways to visit the Bears @ Knight Inlet-a day trip from Telegraph Cove in a fast boat or a multi day stay @ Knight Inlet Lodge http://www.grizzlytours.com
If doing day trip from Telegraph Cove appeals then why not Stubbs Island for a recommendation?
It's their backyard and they know the area and all the operations in it.
There is another operation I once recommended but reports have been lukewarm of late so I'll leave that.
Jul 15th, 2004, 06:00 AM

Sam's advice is excellent.

We have done the Knight Inlet trip 3 times with Tip Rip Tours out of Telegraph Cove. Last year the Grizzlies were amazing. You can google Tide Rip - they have a good website. Your problem with Tide Rip will be getting reservations - many days are already fully booked. They have an outstanding conservation ethic and you see plenty more than bears, and the scenery is splendid.

Stubb's Island does a good job with the Killer Whales. Last year we used Mackay Whale Watching [ www,whaletime.com] out of Port McNeill and were completely satisfied. A great boat and a strong conservation ethic.

You will love northern Vancouver Island.

cheers

Jerry

Search this Thread