Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   BC Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/bc-trip-509564/)

NanfromNapanee Mar 5th, 2005 11:39 AM

BC Trip

This summer my husband and I plan on taking a trip to Vancouver and spending 10 days. Since my husband has never been to BC and it's been years since I've been we'd like to see some sights around Vancouver. Then head to the Okanagan then to either Jasper or Banff. Does anyone have any itinery suggestions? Or things we shouldn't miss?

Judy_in_Calgary Mar 5th, 2005 01:24 PM

Hello NanfromNapanee,

I'm a bit confused about your timing. I don't know if you're going to have 10 days in Vancouver and THEN set off for the Okanagan and the Rockies or if you're going to have only 10 days in which to do all of that.

Also, I don't know if you will be flying into Vancouver and out of Calgary or flying in and out of Vancouver. Your message seems to be saying you'll fly in and out of Vancouver.

With 10 days at your disposal, you might consider confining your trip to Vancouver, Whistler and Vancouver Island. By including Whistler you could incorporate a mountain experience in what essentially is a coastal trip.

Another thing that would help you to make the best use of your time would be flying into Vancouver and out of Calgary (or the other way round). However, you would incur a drop off fee on your rental car if you did that.

Anyway, here's an itinerary that answers your question as I understood it, round trip from Vancouver, in 10 days.

1 - Land in Vancouver.

2 & 3 - Look around Vancouver.

4 - Drive to Kamloops. It would be more direct to drive east on Hwy #1 to Hope and then turn northeast onto Hwy #5 towards Kamloops. However, it would be longer but more scenic to turn north with Hwy #1 at Hope and drive through the Fraser River Canyon to Lytton. In the Fraser River Canyon you could ride the "Hell's Gate" air tram. Then at Lytton turn east towards Kamloops. The town is well supplied with hotels and motels that are clean, comfortable, and adequate for an overnight stay.

5 - Drive to Jasper. On the way, go into Wells Grey Provincial Park to look at Helmcken Falls. O/N in Jasper.

6 - Drive south along the Icefields Parkway (Hwy #93) to Lake Louise. Stop along the way to look at Athabasca Falls and Sunwapta Falls. Consider riding the Snocoach on the Athabasca Glacier at the Columbia Icefields. Overnight in Lake Louise, Banff or Canmore.

7 - From your base in LL / Banff / Canmore, visit Moraine Lake, Lake Louise, Takakkaw Falls, Emerald Lake.

8 - Drive west to Golden, over Rogers Pass to Revelstoke, Sicamous and along Shuswap Lake to Salmon Arm. Turn south to Vernon and Kelowna.

9 - Drive south through Summerland and Penticton to Keremoes. Turn west onto Hwy #3. Drive through Princeton and beautiful Manning Provincial Park to Hope. At Hope turn onto Hwy #1, and continue westwards towards Vancouver.

10 - Fly home.

This itinerary is more rushed than I think is ideal. You could really use another day to explore Jasper's environs and still another day to explore what is in and around Banff townsite.

Nevertheless, I hope it helps.

April Mar 5th, 2005 04:42 PM

Judy, you should be a travel agent. Your answers never cease to amaze me... mainly the time you put into them.

NanfromNapanee Mar 6th, 2005 03:37 AM

I agree with April. Since I posted my message I've had time to look through the forum and I see all the help that Judy has given people.

Judy this trip is just in the planning phase right now. I was told by someone I work with that between Vancouver and Calgary you could do a one way car rental and not incur a fee because they have enough people going back and forth. I had been under the impression that you would but what he said made sense. I'll have to verify that. We just figured it would save us time if we went cross country.

Since I grew up in Alberta and have been to BC many times in my child hood but my husband grew up in NB I wanted him to be able to see as much of BC as possible. Maybe we need to make the trip longer. I really do want to go to the Okanagan while there even if just for one day. As we haven't booked our flights yet we can either fly into Calgary or even Edmonton and flight out of Vancouver. It's all flexible at this point. I know my husband is going to fall in love with BC.

dawbydo Mar 9th, 2005 04:46 PM

Take the time to stop in Nelson, its a great place that is diversely cultured through its artsy and heritage oriented appeal.