Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

bars to watch hockey in Victoria (Inner Harbor area)

Jun 4th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Go Devils

Hi. I'm taking the Victoria Clipper this coming Saturday (6/9) to Victoria and will be arriving in Victoria around 6pm (which would be around the 2nd period of a Stanley Cup game 7). I'm hoping that the Devils can win the next 2 so this will be a nonissue, but that doesn't look likely.
Does anyone know of a bar close to the Clipper that would be likely to be showing the game?
Also, I'll need to hop on a ferry leaving Swartz Bay at 9pm. I was planning on taking the Victoria Bus (I believe it would be # 70). The bus schedule online said that it should take an hour by bus to get to Swartz Bay from Victoria. Is this a reliable guess or should it take significantly longer?
Also how reliable are these buses?
Thanks,

Jun 4th, 2001, 01:18 PM
rand

The buses do not break down very often, but I would not want to be wandering out of a bar at 8:00 to start looking for the bus stop.

Jun 4th, 2001, 11:19 PM
April

The Strathcona Hotel in the 900 block Douglas has a sports bar, whatever that means. The #70 is the bus to the ferry. I don't know where you catch it - maybe on Douglas St.? Their travel time estimates are probably correct, but they don't guarantee making a connection to the ferry.

Jun 5th, 2001, 12:30 AM
April

Someone informs me that, yes, the buses are reliable but you'll need to catch it at 7:45. I would check on that to be sure. And they say that the game should be on in the Charles Dickens pub at the side of the Empress Hotel.

Jun 5th, 2001, 06:30 AM
Wish-it

GoDevils- it is looking more likely than your problem may not be a problem after all. It's been an interesting finals! I'm sure as a Devils fan you would have rather seen them sweep it in 4 (like they did to our Red Wings years ago- oh, that hurt!) but as a hockey fan in general this kind of series sure is interesting. Ok- this is a travel forum after all and I have no knowledge of Victoria so that's all from me. Good luck to your Devils- they did great last night! Although if it goes to Game 7 you will get the treat of watching the game on CBC with Don Cherry et al. We get CBC here in Detroit and it is more fun to watch hockey on CBC when you can.

Jun 5th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Go Devils

Thanks to all. I don't know which I'm more nervous about: catching the next ferry or game 7 if it should occur.
Thanks to "Wish it was the Wings" for your hockey thoughts. My main thought is that the Avs are a great team and beating them would make the Devils all the more impressive.
I also think that though this has been a physical series these 2 teams have played clean and classy. But, like you said this is a travel forum. So, enough of that talk from me.