Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Banff - Suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/banff-suggestions-244773/)

A D Jul 31st, 2002 10:27 AM

Banff - Suggestions

I've booked a vacation for September in Banff. But I'm going up a day early and staying a day longer than the actual dates of the vacation. Are there any hotels that I should definitely try - any that I should flat out avoid? Is there anything I should make sure I take the time to see before leaving the area?<BR><BR>Thanks

geez Jul 31st, 2002 02:42 PM

<BR>Hey, we're willing to give lotz of info, but pleeeeeeeze do a search here, first. Banff has been discussed ad nauseum, althought I love it there!<BR><BR>Then get back to us with specifics.

A D Jul 31st, 2002 04:08 PM

I did a search, right after I posted the question (someday, I'll come up with good ideas in the right order - really I will.) The three most listed hotels seem to be Rimrock, Buffalo Mountain, and the Post Hotel. They also seem to all be "near" the city, but definitely outside of the town.<BR>Is there any place that could be recommended that's in the downtown area?<BR>

Bubba Aug 1st, 2002 01:32 PM

A couple of weeks ago, we spent two nights at the Banff Park Lodge. It was nice.

Lila Aug 1st, 2002 01:56 PM

We recently spent 5 nights at the Rimrock hotel and loved it. We visited the Post Hotel (but it's in Lake Louise about 45 minutes from Banff) and it's a fantasic place. We did not check out Buffalo Mountain so I can't comment on that one. In Banff do "visit" the Banff Springs Hotel (it's too expensive to stay plus I preferred the Rimrock for a place to stay) and do the Gondola ride to Sulphur Mountain (right next to the Rimrock Hotel). I planned my whole trip reading these posts over and over again and they were very helpful. But if you would like more information, feel free to e-mail me directly (don't want anyone suffering from nausea!!!). You'll have a great time no matter where you stay in Banff (we didn't see any hotel that should be avoided - they all looked very nice).

Jace Aug 2nd, 2002 12:51 PM

AD - the town of Banff is about 3 streets wide and a mile and a half long. The Post Hotel is well up the highway near the way to Lake Louise - nice place though.<BR><BR>Has no one ever heard of the Banff Springs Hotel - the grand dame of Westrn Canada Railway Hotels? She's a castle like beauty 10 minutes from "downtown".<BR><BR>The Rimrock is nice too. After that you are getting into your mid level ski accomodation.

Spud Aug 2nd, 2002 02:05 PM

I agree with Lila. The Rimrock is a beautiful modern hotel, the Banff Springs old and charming. I'd rather stay at the Rimrock and visit the Banff Springs for Sunday brunch. Do the Sulphur Mt. Gondola and walk down if you enjoy not-too-strenuous hiking. If you're looking for a fantastic restaurant go to the Post Hotel in Lake Louise, well worth the drive.

ginny Aug 5th, 2002 03:30 PM

We stayed at the Banff Springs Hotel 2 years ago. Luckily we got a room on one of the top floors in a corner so we could get great views. It was a nice room but not super fancy. It was just fun to say we stayed there. The only thing we didn't really like were all the tourists milling around and all the tourist buses in front. <BR><BR>WE also stayed at the Rimrock and it is a very nice hotel with a pretty lobby, etc. Not that far from town actually. <BR><BR>I agree about the Post. We also stayed there twice and loved it. It is a member of Relais and Chateaux which means it is expensive but worth it. Very luxurious rooms (but not real big). Also on a river with cute log cabin cottages also on the river available for overnight stays. Lots of window boxes and stuff like that. Good food. but it's at Lake Louise, not in Banff. <BR><BR>Finally, we stayed at the Buffalo Mountain Lodge also. We stayed in the older building - not great, but okay. I think the newer rooms are nicer. But the lodge restaurant is very good. Eat dinner there at least one night. <BR><BR>Can you tell we like Canada????

BRUCE Aug 5th, 2002 07:01 PM

We will be staying at the Rimrock in 2 weeks. I enjoyed Lila's recommendation. Lila,I have tried to e-mail you but<BR>[email protected] comes back undeliverable. I have some questions about your trip.

A D Aug 8th, 2002 02:33 PM

Thanks for the suggestions - hotel is booked, I'm ready to go!<BR><BR>

Stuart Aug 8th, 2002 02:36 PM

I have lived in Banff for 22 years. I read all the above responses; lets just say I find it amusing!<BR><BR>I agree with most of what has been said however.......The Banff Springs has just spent $75 million on renovations and the hotel is beautiful. Over $22,000. was spent on each bedroom alone. Personally, I would stay there.<BR><BR>The Rimrock is a good choice too. I prefer them both.<BR><BR>Stuart<BR><BR>Stuart<BR><BR>

Robin Aug 10th, 2002 08:47 PM

We just returned from a 1 week trip to Banff/Jasper. In Banff, we stayed at the Buffalo Mountain Lodge. We wanted luxury, but didn't want to stay in a hotel). All I can tell you is that the Premier Room at BML was fantastic. It was a very large, well done room, huge bathroom, fireplace (all the free wood you want to burn), balcony & we loved it. Fantastic restaurant & bar (for after dinner cigar). It was $295/night (Canadian). We visited Rimrock and Banff Springs and agreed we were very happy with our selection.

s Aug 12th, 2002 10:00 AM

you booked...where did you decide on?<BR>

Ginny Aug 12th, 2002 08:15 PM

Glad to hear that the Banff Springs Hotel was just redone. I will keep that in mind for future trips.

A D Aug 13th, 2002 11:32 AM

The Rundlestone Lodge. It's where my budget and luxury and availability lines ended up crossing.<BR><BR>Someday, I'd like to do the Rimrock and Banff Springs - but they're both more expensive than I can currently justify spending. But, this way I'll have more to spend on dining...

Lila Aug 14th, 2002 09:28 AM

Bruce, I just read these posts and sent you an e-mail directly. I don't know why your e-mails to me bounced back (right address). So please feel free to respond to my direct e-mail.

ellen Aug 14th, 2002 02:17 PM

<BR>Hey, i'm with you A.D.<BR><BR>I'd MUCH rather spend less money on a place where I just sleep, and have more cash to spend on extra nights!! <BR>(Plus, dinners and souvenirs etc.)<BR><BR>BTW, don't forget Canmore, home to many lovely properties that won't break the bank.

Sari Aug 15th, 2002 01:03 PM

If you can swing it, the Banff Springs Hotel is truly an extraordinary place to stay. Totally unpretentious and magnificent and elegant. It is one of our all-time favorite places.