Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Banff Restaurants-Anyone eat hear? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/banff-restaurants-anyone-eat-hear-438064/)

GailLK Jun 2nd, 2004 05:46 AM

Banff Restaurants-Anyone eat hear?

Has anyone been to any of these restaurants: Saltlik, Maple Leaf Grille, or Buffalo Mountain Lodge? Can't figure out where to eat in BANFF..

Thanks!

ltt Jun 2nd, 2004 06:40 AM

for a fancy dinner, buffalo mountain lodge gets good reviews.

Judy_in_Calgary Jun 2nd, 2004 12:21 PM

Hello Gail,

You'll be in Lake Louise for 2 nights as well, if I recall correctly. Suggest you eat at Deer Lodge and Post Hotel. Suggest Deer Lodge first night and Post Hotel second night. The reason is that, while Deer Lodge (where I have eaten) is very, very good, Post Hotel (where I have not eaten) is reputed to be even better.

This past spring Borealis was in Banff, and dined at Buffalo Mountain Lodge (BML). She said it was excellent, but not quite as good as Le Beaujolais [French cuisine], which was even better.

BML is owned by the same company that owns Deer Lodge at Lake Louise and Emerald Lake Lodge. I know they get their game meat (elk, etc.) from the same private game ranch. Although I haven't eaten at BML, so cannot say for sure, I think there might be some similarities between the cuisine at BML and Deer Lodge (if you take the suggestion of dining at Deer Lodge). So you might want more variety.

If I remember correctly, Borealis also has said good things about Coyotes Grill. According to a website about Banff restaurants, it has a Santa Fe look to it, and serves Southwestern cuisine with west coast and Mediterranean influences.

At various times I've heard good things about Maple Leaf Grille and Saltlik too.

I've had dinner at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel, which was very good, and the Eden Restaurant (French cuisine) at the Rimrock is reputed to be pretty special too.

Banff has many good restaurants. I'd be surprised if you were disappointed in any of these places. I think it's mainly a question of getting a bit of variety, e.g., not dining at French restaurants two nights in a row.

Borealis Jun 4th, 2004 11:45 AM

We have been to Buffalo Mountain Lodge (as Judy mentioned above) and also to Maple Leaf Grill.

The food at Buffalo Mountain is very good, but it is pricey (by Canadian standards) although not as expensive as Eden Dining Room at the Rimrock. The service at Buffalo was excellent, the ambience charming, the wine list was good. I would recommend it and will definitely dine there again.

Although Maple Leaf Grill seems to get good reviews, we were very disappointed with our experience there. The food was OK but not outstanding. The service was below par, we had to really work hard to get the attention of our server, and had to remind him several times that we were still waiting (for wine, salad, coffee etc.). He was more interested in chatting with other servers than with doing his job. If the food had been good, we would have given this place a second chance. But the food was "blah" so we won't bother.

Haven't been to Saltlik yet but have heard good things about it.

Coyotes Grill is a very good place for lunch or a casual dinner; very tasty food, excellent service, and good coffee!!! You will need reservations though as it tends to fill up very quickly.

Another fine dining establishment that I would recommend is in Lake Louise - the Post Hotel. Excellent food and a great selection of wine.

Bon Appetit!!!

mikety Jun 6th, 2004 06:04 AM

I forgot its name, but its a Japanese restaurnat along Banff Avenue and diagonally across Mt. Royal hotel and its on a second flr. price reasonable and food is good.