Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Banff or Lake Louise? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/banff-or-lake-louise-497415/)

zinfanatic Jan 22nd, 2005 08:55 AM

Banff or Lake Louise?

We are planning a trip to the Canadian Rockies and can't decide whether to use Banff or Lake Louise as our base. We like to stay in calm places with good food, if possible. We won't shop and love to be near day hiking trails. Also is the Ice Fields Parkway drive worth it? We will be doing lots of driving and don't know if we should take this trip or stay around and hike. We will stay three nights at either place.

Molly2 Jan 22nd, 2005 09:37 AM

Don't miss the Icefield Parkway!!! It is spectacular! Some of the area's best hiking trails are along the Parkway.

Our priorities are the same as yours, good hiking, reasonably peaceful, don't care about shopping. By far the best choice for us was Lake Louise, as opposed to bustling Banff. We stayed at the LL hostel, which was extremely convenient to the best hiking trails, was simple but comfortable, and served surprisingly good food at good prices {restaurant open to the public}, however I can't recommend it if you are looking for someplace calm. Quiet it was not! It fit our budget.

Don't overlook Yoho and the Lake O'Hara area - fantastic hiking in peaceful surroundings. The Lake O'Hara Lodge is extremely pricy, but looks like the ultimate in peaceful lodging in a magnificent setting. There are several places to stay in nearby Field, though none of them sound upscale, more like renting out a room or part of a house. This would be my choice if we go again, that or camping at Lake O'Hara. If it works into your buget, I believe that there are several good options for lodging near Lake Louise besides the noisy hostel.

Judy_in_Calgary Jan 22nd, 2005 10:17 AM

Hello zinfanatic,

I agree with what Molly said.

I have not stayed at the hostel in Lake Louise, but several of my friends have, and they like it. If you are looking for something more upscale, consider Baker Creek Chalets and Paradise Lodge and Bungalows. Deer Lodge also is worth considering, if it fits your budget, but be sure to get one of the larger rooms (they're called Heritage Rooms if I remember correctly).

Although Lake Louise is only a village, the hotels in and around LL serve excellent food. The Post Hotel (reservations essential!) is the splurge venue. The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise has excellent restaurants. I personally like Deer Lodge's restaurant very much. The bistro at Baker Creek Chalets is popular. People around here speak well of the Station Restaurant.

You can pick up a picnic lunch for one of your hikes from Laggan's Mountain Bakery. Deer Lodge also packs picnic lunches for its guests, but they are expensive.

The Icefields Parkway is gorgeous, as Molly said.

I notice from your other posts that you will be on a long-ish trip, and are considering including the Okanagan. If that is your time frame, I really do recommend that you include a stop in Jasper. There is some wonderful hiking around there, and I believe you will be short-changing yourself if you miss it. The Okanagan Valley is pretty, but I would not include it at the expense of Jasper. Just my opinion.

ltt Jan 24th, 2005 09:56 AM

from what you describe, i think lake louise area would be best.
don't know what your budget is but the post hotel always gets good reviews.

stillhouse Jan 25th, 2005 03:24 PM

We stayed in both Banff and Lake Louise and did not regret the decision to move even thought places were not that far apart. We enjoyed Deer Lodge (5 minute walk from Lake Louise). While basic rooms are small, how much time will you spend in them? We initially had a larger room and switched to standard room to take advantage of cheaper rate. We booked at a much higher rate, but when we went to Banff and checked in with the visitor center, we found that they were offering cheaper rates. The hotel honored them since rooms were available. Rate went from $179CAD to $99CAD. Worth checking into.

pamiqua Feb 4th, 2005 11:53 AM

Definitely do Lake Louise, it's much more laid back then Banff. We just got back from there and it's beautiful, however we were extremely disappointed with our hotel selection - Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. I'd recommend the Post Hotel if you want upscale. Deer Lodge is a great affordable option and has fantastic food.