Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper for twosome (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/banff-lake-louise-jasper-for-twosome-796075/)

travelbuggie Jul 17th, 2009 09:24 AM

Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper for twosome

We are an active couple in our 50s who enjoys hiking, fishing and seeing beautiful scenery. We are heading north from a wedding in Jackson WY next year to see Glacier Park in the USA and the Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper area in Canada. We see from the chat line that we should get hotel reservations early so we are planning our trip now. We can afford some "splurges" on hotels but also like accommodations that just have beautiful views and get you close to nature. We want to make sure we are spending our time in the right spots too. We could add a day or two if someone thinks we should, although sometimes living out of a suitcase can get old. Here is a tentative plan (with some questions). Could anyone give us your thoughts?
Day 1(June 27)--drive from Jackson to East Glacier--stay at Mt. Pine Motel
Day 2&3 (June 28-29)--drive Going to the Sun Road and hike--stay at Lake McDonald Lodge/cabins (We are thinking that, even though the hotel is not that great, it is in a great location and, if I'm calling early, I might get a better room. Should I get a cabin or lodge room or ??? It looks like the Going to the Sun Road should be cleared but are we taking a big chance?)
Day 4-8--drive to Banff and enjoy Banff/Lake Louise area--stay at Buffaloberry Bed and Breakfast (Should we stay at Lake Louise instead, possibly at Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise--or do 3 days in Banff & 2 at Lake Louise? I would get the 5th day free at the Bed and Breakfast though, which is nice. )
Day 9-10--drive to Jasper and see ice fields along the way--stay at Patricia Lake Bungalows
Day 11--drive to Calgary
Day 12--fly home or stay longer to see opening day of Stampede (Is it worth it? We don't normally like carnivals/crowds but the rodeo/chuckwagon races sound interesting plus maybe the Glenbow Museum or Heritage Park Historical Village)
Thanks for any thoughts on hotel accommodations, itinerary and activities.

dfr4848 Jul 17th, 2009 10:06 AM

Chateau Lake Louise is beautiful and worth a stay, but with that 5th night free, I'd certainly consider just staying in Banff. We've always done day trips to Lake Louise and found it very workable. Otherwise, we haven't stayed at any of the places you mentioned so can't comment on those.

jranger Jul 19th, 2009 04:49 AM

Your itinerary sounds great! You will be driving through some of the most beautiful scenery in the world! We prefer staying in the Lake McDonald Lodge versus a cabin - that area is breathtaking. Staying in Banff is probably a better idea - the restaurants and night life are much better than Lake Louise. You'll love Lake Louise and you should certainly tour the Chateau, but that's easily done in a day trip from Banff. If you're in Calgary for the first day of Stampede, I'd say it's definitely worth it. The parade in the morning of the first day is really fun and the rodeo/chucks should be done at least once in one's lifetime! Yes, it can be crowded but the opening days are less busy on the Stampede grounds than later on.

tovarich Jul 20th, 2009 03:18 AM

Don't forget to visit Lake Moraine,not far from Lake Louise but much nicer.Paul

DaveS Jul 20th, 2009 09:10 AM

First time we went alone 20 years ago we were on a very tight budget. Last three times had the kids with us. Summer 2011 wife and me are going back alone and will try and get into Lake O'Hara lodge. Have hiked back there and always sigh when leaving on the bus thinking how lucky the people are that stay there. If can't get in there considering Moraine Lake Lodge. I like the Chateau Lake Louise and Patricia Lake Bungalows very much as well.

barryozed Jul 21st, 2009 09:25 AM

My wife and I go to the Rockies about once a year and love out of the way places with beautiful views, ambiance and great hiking. The 3 places you should look into are
-lake Ohara cabins...
-mount engadine lodge
-nipika cabins
Some of the most amazing areas in the Rockies for hiking and wildlife

travelbuggie Jul 21st, 2009 10:54 AM

Thank you all for your info. It sounds like we are on the right track and just need to tweak our trip a little. It is so great to have info from people who have been there.