Banff/Lake Louise - 7 month pregnant?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I would love to get out of town and head to Banff/Lake Louis area the weekend of July 1-4th. I'm actually 7 months pregnant right now so I'm trying to decide if there will still be stuff for us to do that doesn't involve hiking, etc. We would love to just see some beautiful scenery, waterfalls, animals, etc. If we just plan on renting a car & driving around will we still be able to really enjoy the area or should we wait for a time when I'm not pregnant & can really get out in nature a little more?
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 04:35 PM

Hello lreves,

There are heaps of short walks in the Banff / Lake Louise area that a woman who is 7 months pregnant can do.

I don't know if the trip would involve a flight or if you live close enough to the area that you'd be able to drive. If you would need to fly to the area I'm sure you'll consult your doctor about the advisability of doing that. If you're able to drive to the area, it'll be a piece of cake.

If for some reason you need medical attention while you're in the mountains, there are hospitals in Canmore, Banff and Jasper (although I don't recommend going as far as Jasper on a trip as short as the one you're contemplating).

That long weekend likely will be pretty busy in the mountains, so I think it would be wise to sort out your accommodation ASAP. Read the small print. Many mountain properties have stringent cancellation policies.

All the best.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 07:10 AM
ltt

you can spend a day driving around the banff lake louise area. drive hwy 1A to lake louise. very scenic and there are several easy hikes. the walk on the side of lake louise is totally flat. when in banff, you can walk to the bow falls. take each side of the river - fairly flat and easy.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 09:16 AM
sockboy

There are plenty of short walks and nice drives to go on. Stop into the Parks Canada info building in Banff and ask for information on Wheelchair accessible trails. These will all be paved, and flat. As was mentioned, Lake Louise is an ideal spot to stop for a few hours - you can stroll by the lake, and then have snacks at the hotel.

I have never been pregnant, but am often not comfortable sitting in cars for long periods of time - I can't imagine it would be that comfortable pregnant. I would stay in Banff, see some of the local sites, and take short trips to sites nearby like Lake Louise.

Although many people go to Banff for the hikes etc, it is also a great place to getaway and relax. You can enjoy the scenery without doing heavy hiking. If you can afford it, the Banff Springs would be such a great place to stay for this kind of trip. Think of the way early visitors to these hotels spent their time, in luxury accomodations with fantastic surroundings!

Old Jun 27th, 2005, 10:20 PM

Moraine Lake which is also just gorgeous, also has a very easy/flat trail along its shores. (not paved, but very flat) It's the same distance from Banff (both Lake Louise & it area bout 45 min-1 hr) It & Lake Louise are about 20 min apart if that!

If you can get in a canoe depending on your balance now, your hubby could do most of the paddling & it's really quite a treat to float out on these glacial-fed lakes...so turquoise & peaceful. (perhaps less 'peaceful' on a holiday weekend?) Perhaps we've been spoiled as we've always travelled there in the Fall, when crowds are less.

The only caveat I'd add here is I'm sort of bummed as we're heading there too, at that time & unfortunately, the weather forecasts just keep getting worse. (lots of rain maybe)

Now many say mtn weather is highly changeable, but I'm a bit discouraged as even Calgary is forecasting rain & I always thought it tended to be more dry.
The last time I checked rain is forecast out as far as forecasts go right now...July 6.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 11:14 PM

What is the elevation in Banff? I have visited Calgary when non-pregnant, and the 3500 foot elevation is enough for me to notice (it's just a tiny bit harder to walk quickly). I doubt it would be an issue, but something to consider.