Notices

Banff / Golden September weekend

Jun 30th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Banff / Golden September weekend

I will be spending a long weekend, 3 full days in Banff at the end of September.

Does it make sense to stay in Golden all 3 nights and do day trips to Yoho / Lake Louise / Moraine Lake area?

Also any kayak rentals at this time of year? I am arriving September 25th.

Thanks.
Jun 30th, 2015, 02:01 PM

I think I would call Golden a hub versus a destination. Unless there is free room and board I don't know why you would stay there and do day trips. As for kayak rentals I am not that knowledgeable but the rivers will be at their lowest point of the year and snow can be in the forecast. Rates should be reduced in Banff as summer is over and winter skiing has not started.
Jun 30th, 2015, 02:48 PM

I agree with Stairgod - Golden is not a place to stay for visiting Yoho and Banff NPs. You'd be adding a lot of driving and not staying in a particularly scenic location. If you're coming for the parks, stay in the parks. Golden is outside the parks and more chain hotels - Field, Banff and Lake Louise are all in the parks and much more scenic and have the tourist sites.

Generally accommodation prices don't come down to winter/off season rates until after our Thanksgiving (mid October). However, you might be able to find some better deals, especially if you are staying 3 nights in one place.

If you are looking for more budget accommodations, the hostels in both Banff and Lake Louise are excellent and have private rooms. The Fireweed Hostel in Field (Yoho NP) is also very nice. Lake Louise Inn also can have good prices. I would certainly book sooner rather than later as there can be a bit of tourist rush at Lake Lousie/Moraine Lake in mid to late September due to the larches turning their beautiful autumn yellows.

There really isn't much in the way of kayak rentals in the Banff/Lake Louise/Yoho area. It would be the tail end of the canoe rental season on Lake Louise/Moraine Lake - weather depending. The only kayak rentals I know if in the area are the Banff Canoe Club in Banff (http://banffcanoeclub.com/).

Search this Thread