Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Banff & Jasper in October (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/banff-and-jasper-in-october-403155/)

LauraStenicky Jul 28th, 2008 10:36 AM

Banff & Jasper in October

Yes, here is another posting requesting info for both baff and Jasper NP... :-)

I am planning a trip October 13 for maybe a week. Perhaps a few nights in Banff and a night or two in Jasper.

Do you think its a good idea to use Banff as a base and drive up to jasper for a night or two and then back down to Banff? I am flying in/out of Calgary.

I found a hotel in Banff called The Juniper, looks nice from thier website. Any one ever stay there?

What do you think about the prks in october. My hobby is photography..

Thanks for your ideas..

Laura

ShelliDawn Jul 28th, 2008 08:26 PM

October is an iffy time in the mountains. The weather could be anything from a warm, beautiful Indian summer to snow and cold. If you can be flexible about what to see/do based on the weather, then you should be okay.

Just remember to pack clothing that will cover almost every type of weather condition including a windproof/waterproof outer, gloves and some type of headcover (e.g. a toque). Clothes that can be layered are the key.

dfr4848 Jul 29th, 2008 05:53 AM

My thoughts somewhat depend on when you arrive and depart Calgary. With only a week, if you arrive Calgary early, I'd be tempted to drive straight to Jasper for a day or two. It's about 400km/240mi and can be done in a day with plenty of opportunities to stop. Then return to Banff for a few days.

You're doubling back, but the Icefields Parkway is one of the most beautiful drives anywhere - so driving it twice wouldn't bother me in the least. This would also work if you have a relatively early flight out of Calgary.

If you're arriving in Calgary fairly late, then I'd reverse and stay in Banff first.

Sorry, can't help with The Juniper - haven't stayed there.

Some people like to fly open jaw and fly into Calgary and out of Edmonton, but if you've got your tickets that's not an option.

lisa1420 Jul 30th, 2008 06:23 AM

In my opinion October is the most beautiful time to visit Banff and Jasper. I agree that the drive from Banff to Jasper is very beautiful. Also don't forget to stop at Lake Louise and take some pics.

There could be snow on the ground...last year there was but also the colours will be beautiful.

We used to live outside of Banff but I have never heard of the Juniper. If you can afford it the Jasper Park Lodge is the place to stay in Jasper.

Hope this helps

krp329 Jul 30th, 2008 09:35 AM

Hi, I have not stayed at the Juniper, but have heard it is nice.

Actually, whether to stay at the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge would depend on your budget and what you are looking for. They advertise "the grand Canadian lodge experience" and are a large property located across the river from town (about 20 minutes' drive). It is an expensive resort property - one of the few REAL "resorts" (the word is over-used so much these days with every motel in the area calling itself a resort, with hiking trails, canoe rentals, tennis, stables, an award winning golf course etc. - and while the restaurants are wonderful there - best in the area - they also are very pricey.

Reviews of JPL are all over the place - you can read them at tripadvisor.com. I'm not sure what rates are like at that time of the year... I know that last November, which is the slowest time of the year in Jasper, they had a special on for $180 a night in their cheapest class of room.

If you want to be in town, one place that is consistently getting rave reviews is the Park Place Inn. It's a very small property (14 rooms, I think) right downtown.

Another accommodation option is private home accommodation - these range from very basic budget rooms to hotel-style rooms to full suites. The nicest, most expensive ones are still cheaper than the cheapest hotels. www.stayinjasper.com

In mid-October, you will have missed the peak of the leaf colour (mostly yellow, from aspens) however, it is a very beautiful time of year. There will be a dusting of fresh snow on the peaks (not likely on the ground a lower elevations i.e. the townsites - but possible too).

You will be arriving right after the Canadian Thanksgiving holiday (Oct. 13 this year) so will officially be in the "shoulder season" so you should find that hotel rates are discounted a bit from summer rates. The crowds will be thinned out too.

October is the "new September" in the Rockies - it used to be that if you wanted to come when there were fewer tourists, take advantage of shoulder season deals etc., that was September. However, September now is still a busy month; few families are travelling, but there are still lots of visitors, although it's not as busy as July and August.

The one disadvantage to coming after Thanksgiving is that many of the paid attractions will be closed - Jasper Tramway, for instance, and Maligne boat cruises. Some of the access roads may also be closed - the Edith Cavell road in Jasper NP closes around then. Also, if you are a hiker, the subalpine and alpine hiking trails will mostly be inaccessible due to snow/ice conditions - but there are still lots of trails lower down to keep you busy!

dfr4848 Jul 31st, 2008 07:07 AM

Laura - FWIW under the heading "Novermber in Banff?" the OP says they're attending a wedding at The Juniper Hotel. So would think it should be nice, but you might want to respond to that thread and see if they have more specific info.

Cruiseryyc Jul 31st, 2008 08:14 AM

Actually "November in Banff" is by a totally different poster.

Ike Jul 31st, 2008 08:47 AM

I flew to Calgary and arrived in time to drive to Lake Louise and spent one night at Chateau Lake Louise. I drove up to Jasper and stayed at JPL for 3 nights. I then drove back to Lake Louise and stayed 3 nights at the Post Hotel. We drove to Banff for the day and had lunch at Banff Springs Hotel. I might stay there instead of the Post Hotel if I go back. I had a great time and enjoyed this area tremendously.

dfr4848 Jul 31st, 2008 09:26 AM

<November in Banff is by a totally different poster>

I'm aware of that. My point was that that poster says they're attending a wedding at The Juniper. If Laura responded to that post, that poster may be able to tell her something about the hotel.

LauraStenicky Jul 31st, 2008 03:20 PM

WOW everyone, thanks for all you input!

And thanks for letting me know about Canadian Thanksgiving.. Im thinking of coming on the 14th now.

I am going to Jackson Hole the week prior for a photography seminar so this time works best for me and I dont want to wait until the end of October.

I work for the airlines so Calgary is my only choice, as my airline does not fly into Edmonton.

Thanks for letting me know about the others staying at The Juniper. I will give that posting a look-see.

Laura

dfr4848 Aug 1st, 2008 03:44 AM

Laura - when you're in Jackson Hole, be sure and visit Tom Mangelson's photo gallery "Images of Nature" (if you're not familiar with him already). His photos of nature and wildlife are nothing short of amazing.

dwooddon Aug 1st, 2008 01:25 PM

I've been to Jasper a number of times. I've only passed through Banff so I can't give much advice about it.

In Jasper, I stay at the Hotel Athabasca. It's right downtown so, if you want to stay in the woods its not the right place but I like it.

October is my favorite time there and the Icefield Pkwy between Jasper and Banff is one of my favorite drives in the world. I'm into photography too. If you'd like to see a little sample of the area, I've got some photos on http://www.worldisround.com/articles/309702/index.html along with a number from the area of Hyder, Alaska.

Have a great trip.

krp329 Aug 3rd, 2008 10:32 AM

Two things to be aware of about the
AthaB hotel: It's an older three storey hotel with no elevator, something to think about if you are seniors or have a lot of luggage. Secondly, it's the site of the "happening" nightclub in Jasper, so unless you plan on being in the bar until closing time yourself, you don't want to be in one of the rooms directly above it.

The fact that you are looking at the Juniper in Banff tells me that the AthaB may not be quite the right place for you in Jasper.

LauraStenicky Aug 3rd, 2008 06:05 PM

Don, thanks for sharing your pictures, I enjoyed them.

And Krp thanks for the heads up about the night club, I do love my sleep :-)

Laura