Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Montreal Grand Prix - Any Tips/Suggestions?

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides "stay away!!"? j/k I know it's not everyone's cup of tea and it'll be once in a lifetime for us so just wondering...any tips or suggestions?

For getting tickets now, special things to do, more affordable places to stay?

Just decided to go to Montreal in early June and looked up what events are happening. Lo and behold F1 Grand Prix weekend cemented our decision. A long time ago DH used to follow F1 so it'll be fun for me to do something he really enjoys while we celebrate his milestone b'day.

Will be our fourth trip to wonderful Montreal so while I am not very familiar with the city, we have a general sense of some neighbourhoods and have seen most of the "must do's"/tourist spots. This trip will just be for him doing the GP/F1 thing.

I noticed tickets were released a year in advance but there seem to still be a lot available through primary sources (i.e., avoiding re-sellers). We'll have a car but will probably park it once we arrive in the city and use public transit.

Appreciate any insights or suggestions.

Enjoy-la!
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 11:24 AM

Hi klam_chowder, I wish I could advise more as a Montrealer since I've always appreciated your suggestions/thoughts over the years. Now, while I'm not one of those protestors picketing up and down the main arteries of the city dressed up in ways representing environmental destruction, I always groan when Grand Prix weekend comes around. The city gets this unpleasant sound like it's been invaded by a swarm of killer bees for miles (due to the cars practicing)and while I'm sure many who visit for the occasion are lovely, a particularly obnoxious breed of cigar-smoke-blowing alpha male also seems to accompany the occurrence of that event each year.

This said, I know prices tend to skyrocket that weekend, but maybe a charming but simple B&B in the Plateau district would not be overly expensive, as it might not appeal as much to the usual Grand Prix crowd that tend to go more for downtown/Old Montreal boutique or chain hotels? There are a few here, although I don't know their prices and quality: Anne Ma Soeur Anne, Boulanger Bassin are some I see mentioned.

Best wishes, Daniel
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Thx a mint for your thoughts, Daniel! Had a good laugh at the alpha male comment, DH is the antithesis of it...LOL! I'm not into cars so sounds like (wokka wokka) I'll have some humorous people watching at least.

I had not heard of these B&Bs and they both are affordable. Surprisingly, AMSA has lots of vacancy without insane price hikes like I've seen at most other establishments - 2 or 3-fold! Their $130/nt for a studio including kitchenette & morning croissants sounds tasty. Convenient for us as I refrain from cooking while on vacation, but will be packing a cooler for lunch & snacks to avoid the likely poor food quality-long queues-exhorhibant priced offerings at the track.

BB sounds nice too but lacks an online calendar. I sent out a booking request to rent an apt earlier today that was walkable to B/UQAM, which I thought might cut down on the crowds as it's a direct Metro to the track. If they're already booked, I'll look into these.

Bought my race tix today too when I realized that many varieties are sold out already. Quickest I have ever put a trip together as usually I'm a plan/research-aholic: 24 hrs from first mention to having the major components locked up!

Enjoy-la!
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 03:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
There is another way to get to the track which avoids the Metro crowds, but it is a longer walk.

http://www.navettesmaritimes.com/index_en.html

The further from the city core, the more affordable. Airport area hotels, or hotels near the Olympic Stadium have good public transit connections and usually free parking.

Mark
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Mark, thx a mint for the link & suggestions. First I'd heard of the shuttle boat and looks like a great alternative if not this visit, the next.

Enjoy-la!