Avis, Budget, National - car rental in BC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any difference among these companies? Any horror stories? Good experiences?

This would be in Abbotsford for just a day. Also, if anyone knows about bus travel between Abbotsford and Vancouver, please chime in.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 01:08 PM

I've taken the bus from Chilliwack to Vancouver - it was fine. Not sure how many run every day, but I think there are several. Maybe there's an express bus.

We usually end up renting from Budget because they often seem the least expensive. We usually go to BC once a year to visit family. This past trip, we didn't think we'd need a car in Victoria. We were only going to be there for 2 days visiting friends (who would pick us up at the airport), then we were flying back to the mainland for 2 weeks in the Chilliwack area. Turned out our friends couldn't pick us up so we decided to get a car in Victoria as well. We never buy the additional insurance because we're covered with our Aerogold Visa. We were parked on Superior (near the Legislative Buildings) for about 3 hours and when we got back to the car, realized that someone had used their keys to leave a nice long scratch all along the driver's side of the car. Of course we reported it to Budget and Visa, and we were told that we'd get billed on Visa and we would then have to make a claim. Well, we've now received 2 Visa bills and there's still no charge for the 'keying'. I'm crossing my fingers - I know we'll get our money back, but it's a pain to have to make the claim.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 02:49 PM

We've been extremely pleased with Avis in Victoria, and somewhat less so with National. No experience with Budget. There were no actual horror stories, but we got better deals at Avis,we found the cars to be in better condition, and the staff were a bit nicer.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, you two. Do you know if there is any reason to get extra insurance if you already have it in the province?
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 05:31 PM

I suspect not, but the best thing would probably be to contact your insurance company and ask what your policy covers. I've rented cars here in Ontario when my own car was going to be in the shop for a day or two, and if my own car wasn't being driven, my existing policy covered the rental. Things may have changed since then, however - I'd check.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I will definitely do that. Thanks.
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 01:26 AM

Most rental places in BC are independently owned so if you are picking up and dropping off it has to be at the same location or they will charge you a large drop off fee. Make sure you ask!

As for bus, what about the Sky Train? check out their website at www.translink.bc.ca
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 12:58 AM
Original Poster

I hadn't thought of that. After all this, we might just bite the bullet and take our own car. Thanks all.