Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   August with two kids-ages 9 and 12 (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/august-with-two-kids-ages-9-and-12-a-793410/)

semeehan Jul 2nd, 2009 04:20 AM

August with two kids-ages 9 and 12

What itinerary would you suggest for a family of four, leaving New Jersey in the beginning of August, with the ultimate destination of visiting Montreal and Quebec City?
We have about two weeks, and thought we would start in Ogunquit or Bar Harbour. My husband is also interested in climbing Mt Washington. I'm concerned about distances and what makes the most sense from a time standpoint. (Does Niagra Falls make any sense, or should we just see the falls near Quebec City?) Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Vttraveler Jul 3rd, 2009 12:45 PM

Niagara Falls seems very far out of your way
There are some interesting forts along the Richelieu River east/SE of Montreal (Fort Lennox on Isle au Noix and Fort Chambly)
If you are going to coastal Maine first, then Montreal and Quebec I wouldn't try to add any other major destinations.

BAK Jul 6th, 2009 08:34 AM

If it was me...

First,. I'd find out if climbing Mt. Washington means driving and getting a bumper sticker or getting out of the car and putting feet onto rocks.

I've climbed it many time, in the car.

The problem is that it's not really on a route I'd suggest for you.

Once you get that requirement out of the way...

Friday afternoon, leave New Jerset. Friday night somewhere around Albany, and stay in some normal motel.

Saturday get up early and drive to Niagara Falls, Canadian side. GEt a hotel. There's lots to do Saturday afternoon and evening fopr kids and adults. Take the Maid fo the Mist boat trip to the bottom of the falls for sure.

Sunday check out, drive to Niagara ont he Lake, look at the old forts on both sides of the river, and then go to St. Catherines, crossing the Welland Canal on a low bridge near Lake Ontario, and visit the St. Catharines Museum to use the viewing gallery, if shiops are in the canal. (quite likely)

Sunday evening in Toronto -- youmight want to check out Holiday Inns in Burlington and Oakville for indoor water slides, etc. In downtown Toronto, the Delta Chelsea is the kids' favorite, with a big waterslide.

Monday in Toronto -- leave town after dinner (when the traffic is less) and drive east on Highway 401 to around Belleville; standard motel, motor hotel.

Tuesday morning to Sandbanks Provincial park for a half day at the beach for the kids, then to Kingston.

From there to Ottawa to Monteal to Quebec City to VErmont to New Hampshire to, perhaps, Portland, and then back down the coast to home.

BAK

BAK Jul 7th, 2009 05:23 AM

Further....

Ottawa is Canada's capital, and, like Washington, is full of good museums. There's a war museum, and aviation museum, a mint you can tour, giant parliament buildings, a hotel that looks like a castle (Fairmont Chateu Laurier), Beavertails to eat (Obama got some), and is kid-friendly.

So Ottawa WEdnesday and Thursday nights.

Friday to Montreal, for Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday night.

By Monday, decide if you have seen enough old stone buildings. If so, skip Quebec City. If not, go to Quebec City.

You could have spent more time in Toronto on this plan -- excellent zoo worth half a day, African Lion Safari worth a full day, Hockey Hall of Fame if you like this sport, ...

semeehan Jul 7th, 2009 08:16 AM

Thanks for the info. My husband actually flies to Toronto on business a few times a year and we are going to go up together for a long weekend in the fall. so we don't need to go there this time. We have been playing around with the schedule and think this is what we may do. Leave NJ and go to Lake Placid (there years ago. seems like a lot to do with the kids) then drive to burlington vermont for a night or two. then up to Montreal for three days. Over to Quebec city for two, then down to Mount Washington to take the train up the mountain and stay at the Mt. Washington Hotel, hear it's beautiful (except for the rooms) then drive to Ogunquit Maine (stayed at the cliff House about three years ago, kids loved that too). then drive a long way home. take about 14-15 days. What do you think? any major glitches?

Thanks!