Search

Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 1999, 01:04 PM
John Jaklitsch

Honeymoon

Hi! <BR>My new wife and I want visit Qebec city for our honeymoon. Is there anywhere specifically that anyone would suggest? Any good hiking around there? Any "must see" attractions? <BR> <BR>Does anyone have a better place for us to visit in the great lakes region (u.s. or Canada)? <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR> <BR>jj

Old Jul 29th, 1999, 06:12 PM
Bob Brown

Hi John. I can tell our experiences in Quebec, but I am reluctant to say that one place is better than another. That is highly individual. Some people like Montreal, and it is a much larger city than Quebec. Others like Toronto because it is very cosmopolitan with different cultures. When in Quebec, we stayed at La Maison du Mesnil B and B, which is now located on Ile d'Orlean not far from the old city. The owner of La Maison du Mesnil, Renee Thibault, speaks decent English and she is quite willing to do so for Americans. She helped us out when we were there. Other posters have said that the Chateau Frontenac Hotel in the old city was worth the price. It has the reputation of being a first class place. <BR>We enjoyed eating at a restaurant named Louis Hebert. At the time, the chef knew what to do with scallops; they were the best I ever had and I am a patron of good scallops. Rarely do I find them other than ruined. As for places to visit, the Plains of Abraham battlefield with the English presentation is interesting. That little skirmish changed the history of our continent. A little northeast of the city is the Chute Montmorency. It is quite a sight, with a drop of about 300 feet, as I recall. It is well setup for viewing, including a bridge that gives a breathtaking view of the falls from directly above the brink. I do not suggest the bridge to anyone who has a fear of heights. I don't have those fears as long as my feet are on something solid, so I enjoyed it. But the falls can be viewed from several vantage points. Sorry I cannot help you on the hiking aspect of a visit. We are walkers, but failed to find any good trails around Quebec, but I was not really hunting for any either. <BR>I think you would enjoy the trip. We found that our poor knowledge of French was not much of a handicap. The tourist office near the wall of the old city just west of the Chateau Frontenac has a very helpful, bi-lingual staff. <BR>We thought visiting Quebec was a unique experience because the culture is different from ours in the USA. <BR>

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 11:44 AM
John Jaklitsch

Thanks for the input. We'er definatley going to check it out!

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 06:37 PM
Geo

John, <BR> <BR>We also had the pleasure of staying with Renee Thibault at the La Maison du Mesnil. You may want to check out her website at: <BR>http://www.quebecweb.com/BandBMesnil/introang.html <BR> <BR>I've also heard good things about "Dominion 1912" at 126 rue Saint-Pierre in Quebec City (don't know if they have a website, but the phone number is 888-833-5253.) <BR> <BR>The Montmorency Falls / Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupre / and Ile d' Orleans are all within 5-10 minutes of each other, just about 20 miles north of Quebec City. <BR> <BR>Quebec City has such a European feel to it. We had people take snapshots of us and almost all of them would then wish us a wonderful time in while in Quebec. Although we do not speak French, we felt very much at ease. (even at McDonald's) <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 31st, 1999, 05:35 AM
sue

If you want Romance then Quebec City is the place. The most romantic thing of all is to stay at the Chateau Frontenac (wonderfully romantic rooms). Then go for a drink in the lounge over looking the St. Lawrence (at night though so the lights from the ships on the river can be seen). The lounge is right in the hotel and has windows on 3 sides. Then walk along Dufferin Terrace. A stroll through old town takes a 1/2 day and it's very nice. Then take a tour out to Montmorency Falls and the Basilica at Sainte-Anne-de-Beapre. Best place to eat (and waitresses in period costume plus the best food I've even eaten) is at "aux Anciens Canadiens". You should make reservations as it's very popular yet very quiet and romantic. I had the chicken in puff pastry (wonderful) but there is an excellent selection of entrees and don't miss desert. Allow a full evening for dining. <BR>

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 01:54 PM
Roxanne

Québec is very romantic but I wouldn't stay there more then 3 nights. The chateau frontenec or the auberge sainte antoine are nice places to stay. You also have l'auberge st-pierre and le manoir sur le cap wich are small inns at a resanable price. If you plan a longer honeymoon I suggest you come down to Montreal. I'm from there and I can sale my town very well. If you do stay in Montreal, L'auberge du vieux port is the place to stay. The staff will help you plan your stay. Call 1 888 660 7678 if you have any more questions. <BR>

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 01:55 PM
Roxanne

Québec is very romantic but I wouldn't stay there more then 3 nights. The chateau frontenec or the auberge sainte antoine are nice places to stay. You also have l'auberge st-pierre and le manoir sur le cap wich are small inns at a resanable price. If you plan a longer honeymoon I suggest you come down to Montreal. I'm from there and I can sale my town very well. If you do stay in Montreal, L'auberge du vieux port is the place to stay. The staff will help you plan your stay. Call 1 888 660 7678 if you have any more questions. <BR>