Reload this Page >

ATM's in Toronto and S.Ontario

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2001, 07:34 AM
Jan

We are holidaying in Toronto and Southern Ontatio next month,its our first time in Canada. Will we have any difficulties finding ATM's that will accept our UK Visa bank card or should we bring Canadian Dollar T.C.'s with us instead? Also any idea as to the charges made by Canadian banks for using their ATM's?

Old May 15th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Daniel Williams

While I can't speculate on the specifics of your particular bank card, I know that with my Visa check card from the US, I am able to use any ATM in Canada without any difficulty. I think the charge ranges from CAN$1.50- CAN$2. ATMs are widely available in the Toronto metropolitan area.

Old May 15th, 2001, 03:47 PM
Vanessa

Atleast several of our major banks use the Plus network for their ATMs. I believe the Plus network is international. <BR> <BR>Just one word of advice about using ATMs here. The ones bearing the bank logos will carry the lowest fees but there are others that will carry higher fees. The banks are Royal Bank, CIBC, Scotiabank/Bank of Nova Scotia, Bank of Montreal, Canada Trust, Toronto Dominion (TD), National Bank of Canada -- I think that's all the major ones. Their ATMs are everywhere from convenience stores to malls to the banks themselves. But you will also see generic ATMs that have higher user fees. <BR> <BR>My bank charges me $1.25 for any transaction at an ATM belonging to another bank. There is another higher charge tacked on to that if I use one of the generic machines.

Old May 20th, 2001, 01:00 AM
Natalie

You will need to look for the following symbols: <BR> <BR>cirrus <BR>plus <BR>maestro <BR>interac <BR> <BR>The independent machines have the interac logo on them, but if your card has interac you can use them at the shop counters for direct payment... <BR> <BR>I use my card in the UK so you should have no problem here! <BR> <BR>

Old May 20th, 2001, 06:58 AM
Donna

Yes, be sure to watch for the Visa logo and the logo for whichever international network(s) is listed on the back of your card (Cirrus, Plus, etc.). Some ATM's take some but not others, and some are local banks not on any international network. But, you'll find plenty with your logos. I've stopped taking traveler's checks in Canadian dollars when we visit Canada. But, I do have an extra ATM card in case my card gets swallowed and not returned (more and more machines in Canada are built for swiping your card, rather than inserting it in a slot) or the magnetic strip becomes compromised.

Old May 21st, 2001, 02:53 PM
anne

I live in Southern Ontario near Toronto and you will find banks with 24 hr. access to ATM machines everywhere. The majority have the same logos available as in Europe. I believe it is your home bank that will determine the transaction charge, at least that has been our experience. Re: magnetic strip - ATMs use slots here, only direct debit (Interac) machines in stores have a "swipe" function. Most machines here are as reliable as anywhere, but it's a good idea to always carry enough in TC's to see you through an emergency . Just a cautionary note.. as in all metropolitan areas use care and choose a secure area when making cash withdrawals. Hope you have a wonderful trip... happy to answer any other questions too.