Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page > ask Tax refund GST/HST, how do i do that?
Notices

ask Tax refund GST/HST, how do i do that?

Jul 8th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

ask Tax refund GST/HST, how do i do that?

hi all..

im from indonesia, next august me and my husband planning to visit eastern canada for our honeymoon.. we've been searching alot about accommodation and all the stuff.
and here we come to question is that true, we can get our tax refund? which is we know that canadian tax is quite high..

pls advice, how do i do that? what are the stuff that include into tax refund? is it only hotels? anything else? pls pls pls... i need this info. thanks a million before..

GBU.
Jul 8th, 2011, 09:57 PM

You cannot get a tax refund since 2007. For more information see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gi/no...tice221-e.html. Here's some info from that page:

Cancellation of the Visitor Rebate Program (New question and answer)

1.1 Has the Visitor Rebate Program been cancelled?

Yes. The Visitor Rebate Program (VRP) was cancelled effective April 1, 2007.

1.2 Will non-resident consumers who purchase goods in Canada and remove them from the country still be able to get a VRP rebate for the GST/HST they paid on the goods if the tax became payable after March 31, 2007?

No. As of April 1, 2007, non-resident consumers who purchase goods in Canada and remove them from the country cannot receive a VRP rebate for the GST/HST they paid on goods if the tax became payable after March 31, 2007.

However, there will still be no GST/HST charged when goods are shipped directly by a Canadian business to a non-resident consumer’s residence.
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

thanks ShelliDawn for your reply,

No more GST/HST refund? woow, not even for our accommodation such a hotel??
Jul 11th, 2011, 07:57 AM
ron

There NEVER was a refund for tax on accommodations. I know of no place in the world that discriminates against its own residents that way.

The now discontinued refund was only for goods purchased in the country, not used in the country, and taken out of the country.

Search this Thread