Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any recommendations for must stay B&B's in Newfoundland

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just wondering if anyone has knowledge of must stay B&B's in Newfoundland. We are looking for friendly people who do healthy breakfasts. Preferably no fish for breakfast.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Yes--the Tickle Inn at Cape Onion. However, be advised that people book up to a year in advance to stay there.

http://www.tickleinn.net/

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Laverne. I will research. I can't say I have heard of Cape Onion before.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Hilltop View B&B in Rocky Harbour. Make sure you get a room in the outside section. Great strawberry pancakes!
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 02:41 PM

For an absolutely wonderful experience I rec. the Quirpon Lighthouse Inn..

http://linkumtours.com/site/inns_quirpon.htm
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tanya I will check this B&B out. As for Quirpon Lighthouse I have e-mailed them already.
Thanks again.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Nice to see there's lots of interest in coming here! The island is lovely, no matter where you go, but it is bigger than most people realise. Unless you have at least two weeks I would suggest you choose one or two areas to visit. Otherwise you'll have a whirlwind tour and lots of driving. It's difficult to single out one part of the island over another because it depends on what type of holiday you like to take. Each area is unique and has something different to offer. One of my favourites is Trinity ... it's a beautiful tiny, historic community with great theatre .. some well known actors got their start here ... good hiking trails, kayaking and magnificent scenery. Having said that you can get the same things in many other communities too. I've stayed at Campbell House in Trinity but it often books up a year in advance. Fisher's Loft in nearby Port Rexton is also highly recommended but that too also books quickly. The B & B's mentioned ..... the Tickle Inn and Quirpon Island (very unique) are also great options. Be aware though that it will take you several hours to drive up the Northern peninsula from the TCH to reach them. Elaine's B & B By the Sea in Witless Bay, a 30 minute drive from St. John's, is also quite comfortable, has wonderful views and offers whale watching excursions too. It's also very near the East Coast Trail (marvelous views of the coast line) if you like hiking. (easy to more strenuous hikes.) Come to Newfoundland and have a wonderful grand time! We'll try our best to make you feel at home!
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 07:24 AM

Here are a two of my favorites: Harbour Lights Inn in Twillingate www.harbourlightsinn.com and the Thorndyke Hotel in Grand Bank if you're going over to the French Islands. www.thethorndike.com
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 03:48 PM

I’ve been to Newfoundland a few times and always stayed in B&Bs. If you’re going to be in St. John’s, my favorite one so far has been “Oh what a view” – and the breakfasts were always excellent (no fish! gt;)), lots of fresh fruit. Some of the rooms have better views than others, so make sure you specify that you’d prefer one with an ocean view.

http://www.ohwhataview.com/

for what it’s worth, I strongly UN-recommend the Gower House, also in St. John’s (I mention this only because they have a strong online presence, so it might come up in your research). My sister and I called it the Sour House after we stayed there!

Old Feb 17th, 2007, 04:26 PM
jtp

My husband and I stayed at Moon Light on the bay (Avondale) www.moonlightonthebay.ca
Vicki and Stewart are the owners - I can not say enough wonderful things about this couple, their family, our stay -- Vicki is a gourmet! Her meals (dinner and breakfast) were outstanding and I just checked the web site and she does vegetarian in addition to her healthy offerings ( we were given the option of no fish for breakfast)
My full report is on this site -- though I suspect you will have no shortage of recommendations.