Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

any recent visitors to Lake O'Hara Lodge?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning our first Rockies trip for next September, and I'm trying to do as much research as possible so that we can wind up with accommodations we love. Am willing to splurge a bit on this trip (tho I'm getting the sense that it'll be more than "a bit.&quot

Lake O'Hara looks wonderfully peaceful and scenic, though not very "sumptuous" or "luxurious." Is my impression correct? We don't especially like "elegant" or "fancy"-- but we do enjoy sumptuous, luxurious, etc (if you get the difference?) Plus, from the website, it looks as if even the cabins do not have king beds. Seems too bad to spend a good deal of money and then have to sleep in separate beds! (We can't do kings.)

In short, would love to hear feed-back on this place, especially with comparisons, say, to Emerald Lake (or other terrific peaceful places).

Thanks much!
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Lake O'Hara is without a doubt my favorite hotel experience in the Canadian Rockies. I splurge on it for a few reasons:
location, location, location-isolated and quiet
food-fantastic with an excellent wine list to boot!
hiking-all levels of challenge are available, spectacular well maintained trails.
scenery-breathtaking...in Sept when the larch turn golden...ahhhhhh

In the evening we sit around the lodge, some in the living area, some in the library . No television, telephones, etc. just old fashioned conversation and reading. There is entertainment on some evenings. Entertainment on past visits has included an Australian chamber music group and the premier bear authority in Canada. It is an incredible experience.

I have stayed at Emerald Lake Lodge and it is fine. We had nice rooms with a lake view and a lovely fireplace. Yes,it is more luxurious than Lake O'Hara. For me, Lake O'Hara wins this competition hands down. During the day Emerald Lake hosts a number of day visitors. The food is good, not great. The hiking variety was not nearly as broad as what is available at Lake O'Hara. I notice from your other post that you are in your seventies. I think the choice of trails which a reasonably fit person in their seventies can handle is much larger at Lake O'Hara.
My two favorite places, and ones to which we will return again and again, are Lake O'Hara and Mt. Engadine. I need great food, super views and great hiking. Wildlife viewing is better at Mt. Engadine than O'Hara. Both properties are extremely quiet and private.

Now about the luxury issue. We have never gotten a cabin at Lake O'Hara we stay in the main lodge. Shared bath, very comfortable, sufficiently private and high quality linens. Bedrooms are BASIC, no luxury at all.

If "luxurious, sumptuous, etc." are non-negotiable, I suggest you look at the Fairmont properties and the Post.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:23 PM

We did a day trip hike to Lake O'Hara the end of September last year. It is really a special setting. We looked at the lodge, which is nice but much prefer Emerald Lake Lodge where we were staying. My recommendation would be to stay at Emerald Lake Lodge and sign up for a day trip to Lake O'Hara. We have stayed at Emerald Lake Lodge twice in the past three years, both times the last week of September, which is the perfect time because the larch trees turn a lovely yellow. Emerald Lake Lodge is a 5-star facility with wonderful dining and great rooms right on the water. The hike around the lake, which takes about 2 hours is very special.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 10:25 AM

Lake O'Hara Lodge is difficult to reserve.
Good luck.

Mount Engadine Lodge has great food, comfortable cabin rooms (3 of them in a separate building), and nice views.

Neither lodge is open year 'round.
Check the websites. Lake O'Hara Lodge closes in early October until it reopens in early February. In winter, one must ski in on the road, which is 11 K.

Also at $600 Canadian a night for a cabin for 2, the rates are a little steep.

Mt. Engadine Lodge also closes for part of the year. It shuts down on October 14 and reopens on Dec 22 until Jan 2 for Christmas, and then reopens on January 29 until April 24.

The summer season this past year was June 18 - October 14.

I was there for 4 nights in late August and enjoyed it. The food was very good to excellent every meal. The common areas are luxuriously carpeted!

Our cabin room had a good bed and was comfortable otherwise.

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 10:26 AM

PS. Daily rates at both lodges include all meals.