Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Any Canadians travelling to Hawaiian Islands this winter? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/any-canadians-travelling-to-hawaiian-islands-this-winter-250827/)

Julie Aug 18th, 2002 07:25 PM

Any Canadians travelling to Hawaiian Islands this winter?

Just curious, because of the horrendous exchange rate, if anyone else is going to Hawaii? Most of my friends are heading to places like the Dominican Republic and Mexico, because it's cheaper. I wanted to go to Mexico,better exchange rate, but the rest of the family wants to go to Oahu. We did get not a bad deal on the hotel. So anyone else avoiding or going to Hawaiian Islands?

Robyn Aug 18th, 2002 08:03 PM

A friend of ours planned to get married in Hawaii - the couple were from Calgary, and their entire family was Canadian. Because it was way too expensive, they moved the wedding to Cancun instead.<BR><BR>I've heard more stories about people avoiding Hawaii, unfortunately. Then again, I know many people who are just staying in Canada for their vacation this year.

Naneki Aug 19th, 2002 07:09 AM

I usually travel to Oahu for my winter vacation but in light of the horrendous airfare from Calgary to Honolulu, I am looking at California instead as my winter destination. I used to fly Canada 3000 for approx. $600-$700, but it now costs at least $900-$1000 on the few airline choices we have left.

gary Aug 19th, 2002 07:10 AM

After an absence of over 20 years my wife and I are taking our daughter, son in law and their one year old baby to Mauii this Xmas. We're doing it because it's a non-stop flight to a guaranteed tropical climate where we can feel reasonably secure taking a one year old. My son in law is a teacher and his vacation time is restricted to the worst and most crowded dates. <BR><BR>Frankly after about a half dozen trips my wife and I became totally bored with Hawaii and began cruising on most of our extended vacations going back to the places we most enjoyed for longer visits. But our grandson is too young for cruising and long flights, (e.g. to Australia which would be our preferred winter destination), would be too much so Hawaii seemed the best choice and the rate for the condo is bearable.

Julie Aug 19th, 2002 08:29 AM

I was checking into airfares. Air Canada and Northwest seem to be about the only two from Canada. Air Canada is charging with taxes $1120.00 CDN from Winnipeg. We have to stay overnight in Calgary or Vancouver. I thought Air Transat was going from Calgary, but I am kind of leery due to some of the problems I am hearing about.

ja Aug 19th, 2002 09:01 AM

We had been planning to go to Kauai in October, but when the cost of a condo for 2 weeks, car rental, food and liquor costs were added up, it was more reasonable to do 2 weeks at our favorite AI in Playa del Carmen. Kauai will have to wait for a few more years, I'm afraid.<BR>ja

gary Aug 19th, 2002 09:38 AM

From Vancouver Aloha is now flying daily to Honolulu & Mauii with fairly competitive fares.

Julie Aug 19th, 2002 10:42 AM

Thank-you Gary, for the info on Aloha Airlines. I didn't realize they flew from Vancouver. Thanks!

Julie Aug 20th, 2002 05:49 PM

I checked into Aloha Airlines. From Vancouver it is $752.02 CDN. If you are a CAA member there is a discount, then the price comes down to $685.02. Since I am travelling from Winnipeg, I checked out West Jet. It is about $410.00 CDN to fly from Winnipeg to Vancouver. So basically it is almost the same price as Air Canada. If you live in Vancouver that is a great price!