Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Canadians know which international cell phone package to buy for the states?

Any Canadians know which international cell phone package to buy for the states?

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:23 PM
midwest momma

Need any information on what type of cell phone service would work(without being an arm and leg) from Canada to the states?What do most people use when they are traveling in Canada to call back to the states(cell phone wise)?Thanks for your help.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 06:55 AM
gary

So far as I know cell phones and their systems are totally compatible between Canada and the States. At least mine is and it's just a standard motorola StarTAC.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 09:29 AM
midwest momma

All of the cell phone deals I have looked into here in the states do not have a program for Canada.Vice versa-I tried to find a cell phone package in Canada that would include the USA but could not find one.Everything seems to include purchasing for (a ridiculous price )a overseas long distance package.Does anyone know of a special NORTH AMERICAN cell phone package? Thanks so much- <BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 12:29 PM
gary

I don't understand this. I am on a $27/mth system giving me one hours and weekends/evenings free. When I'm in the states I call home regularly using my cell phone. True I pay about $1/minute as compared to less than 10 cents from Toronto but otherwise the phone works just fine. However when I'm in the Bahamas or anywhere else my phone won't work. <BR> <BR>I think, midwest momma, that you're asking the wrong question of the cell phone companies. Tell them what I said. My cellphone provider, by the way, is Telus which is the Western Canadian Telephone provider.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 02:43 PM
A.M.

I am with Verizon, in Florida, and calling to Canada (Vancouver and Montreal, at least) is included in my free monthly minutes. I didn't believe them when I signed up - but it's true, chack it out. <BR>A.M.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 05:49 AM
Brian Kilgore

I'm confused. You are an American coming to Canada to visit, and want to call back to the USA easily? <BR> <BR>If so .... <BR> <BR>My friend Charles from new orleans is in Canada a lot, and uses a US AT&T cell phone, and pays some "North American" rate that lets him call local and long distance calls anywhere, anytime, in the US. (I don't know whether Hawaii is excluded) <BR> <BR>In Canada, Rogers AT&T is the nationwiude cell phone carrier that links most easily to AT&T in the US. <BR> <BR>AT&T will work in all major cities, and in most major tourism areas, except in the wilderness. there may be gaps on highways between major cities. <BR> <BR>Sprint in the US and Sprint in Canada are different companies, so double check before you get this service. <BR> <BR>BAK <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 10:01 AM
travelingman

Here in Canada, Bell Mobility offers a "Digital North America" plan for C$69 and up. Details are at http://www.bellmobility.ca/ps/rates/phones/dna.asp <BR> <BR>Verizon's site briefly mentions a "SingleRate Canada" plan in the footnotes for plan details, but I wasn't able to find more online info on that. You could call them to get more details.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 12:14 PM
A.M.

I pay $30us a month for 150 anytime minutes I can use anywhere in the US and any cities in Canada seviced by Verizon. This is from Florida mind you, it's a great deal for me cause I call Canada alot. You are correct, they don't advertize it well, I don't know why. <BR>A.M.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 08:27 AM
midwest momma

Thanks for all the imput. My son is going to go to school up in Ontario and I was hoping that we could purchase a cell phone for him to call back to the states for an inexpensive price. Our family already got started on the ATT one world Canada rate but that will not help him calling back from there.We had tried to get options when we were last up there but all the cell phone companies told us that they had no USA/Canada plan-everything was international and was very expensive(same price as if we were calling England?)So I will look into your suggestions-THANKS.