Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

any border hassle returning to US from Toronto due to SARS

Jun 5th, 2003, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

SARS or no SARS, I will be driving to Toronto from New York for a holiday as I've planned. My concern is not contracting the virus, but possible inconvenience crossing back to the US in case of another major outbreak. I'm looking for someone who came back at the time when there was a travel advisory and can tell me how much of a hassle one can get from US immigration. I just want to be prepared timewise for any delay. Thanks. I will also post this in the US forum.
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:39 AM

Last week Wednesday, I crossed the border from Canada to the US (Lacolle, Quebec) and there were two tiers of border guards to go through (I went by bus). I was asked if I had any produce: food, vegetables or "mad cow beef" (I kid you not). He may have been having fun, but he didn't give any indication of being not serious so I wasn't sure. Anyhow, the border wasn't too bad when I crossed. However, I noticed when I came back on Sunday (4 days ago) that there was a lineup of trucks going back several miles at the Lacolle border. I don't know how affected cars would be.
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:08 AM
BAK

Make sure you don't bring any mad cow Montana beef up with you. Apparently the one cow from Alberta has relatives in Big Sky Country.

There is no telling what to expect from an American with a gun at the border. You could just be one lane over from the sane guards, or the other way around.

There are stories in Canada if idiotic over-reaction by ignorant Americans regarding SARS. Canadian Students denied summer jobs they had been promised in North Carolina. Old lady thrown off a cruise ship. Student teams kicked of of sports tournaments after driving miles to play. and the stories go on.

So it's not unlikely to expect nonsense.

Senior staff from the Center for Disease Control in ATlanta have been in Toronto, and they've been great, telling reporters they are not worried. If the guards saw these interviews, you are better off.

All this being said, chances are you'll hit a smart border guard, have no problems, etc.

In regard to SARS or no SARS; you don't have to worry. Lots of us in Toronto are out and about everyday, with no problems and no worries, and you can join us.

We're glad you are coming.

Many of your countrymen are not, and that's sad for many reasons, including they miss a nice trip.

Those of you who do come, well, we know you'll have a good time, and the lineups are shorter and hotel rooms are cheaper.

BAK
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:32 PM

Hi:

While I havn't crossed the border in several months, I have been working on a project in Toronto since late last year where a few of my co-workers are driving from upstate NY and a few are flying from the US south/midwest to Toronto weekly and none has mentioned any increased border hassles.

Z
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:41 AM

BAK, you make me LAUGH!! I wish there would be a big SARS scare in Vancouver this summer so that I can save some money in September. - I'm fearless. heehee
Jun 7th, 2003, 07:16 AM

To BAK: What was the real purpose of your post -- providing information relating to the effect of SARS on crossing back to the US or simply as an excuse for America bashing? As I see it, your first four paragraphs were simply were an excuse to bash Americans and added nothing to the discussion. BTW, I spent five days in Toronto in late March, another day in May and have reservations for five days in August. I noticed dduring my earlier trips that the Toronto restaurants that I usually frequent had about 25% of their normal customer volumes. Most of that reduced business must be overwhelmingly attributable to SARS paranoia by Torontonians, and only slightly to an "idiotic over-reaction by ignorant Americans" as you sugggest in your post.
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:32 AM
BAK

My point is that it is safe up here, but people who can't think well enough to realize that a city of 3 million is carrying on day to day life, minus tourists, vex me.

BAK
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:20 AM

"SARS paranoia by Torontonians" is a bit of an oxymoron. Torontonians are being, by and large, quite sensible about the whole thing. The tourist industry is definitely suffering, though, and some of that is due to ignorance (in the very literal sense of not-knowing) by people from other parts of the world.
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:07 PM

BAK: You made your point completely in your last six paragraphs;the first four were devoted simply to bashing, in your words, "ignorant Americans." I suspect that you are part of the small percentage of Canadians who think America bashing should be a national sport. You're a great ambassador for Canadian tourism; insult us, then except us to your country. Fortunately, your attitude is not share by the vast majority of your courtymen.
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:49 PM
JMM

Re: BAK
Maybe BAK over-reacted somewhat - I have been guilty of it myself more than once on this issue but remember we constantly hear about people in other countries (not just the US) over-reacting in the most ignorant (and I mean ignorant in the sense of being misinformed) ways possible to the SARS issue in Toronto. Believe this really gets infuriating after a while. Latest nonsense - The Irish do not want to allow people from Canada going to the Special Olympics in Ireland to fly out of Toronto. This is silly for 2 reasons: NO ONE has contracted SARS transitting the Toronto airport - it is MILES from the nearest hospital with SARS patients AND it is the major international airport in Canada. BTW the stories BAK mentioned are all true. I listened to an interview with the son of the 89 year old lady kicked off the cruise ship (btw she is fine and does not have SARS - she got over-heated after standing in the sun for more than an hour ) - her son was furious.
GeoNit - I assume you go to downtown restaurants - they would be the most seriously affected by the decline in tourism. Restaurants in my end of the city all seem to be operating at normal levels. Torontonians are not paranoid about SARS but other people defintely are. However Torontonians are getting fairly paranoid about other people's reactions to SARS. Believe me it is making us quite cranky. I just had friends who are coming over from Germany ask me if they should get masks - I said - sure - if you want to stand out and look like idiots. They were not offended and got the point - to quote one "I guess the media are sensationalizing this over here". I promised not to take them on a scenic tour of SARS wards and they promised not to jump whenever anyone coughed.
Jun 10th, 2003, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Daniel_Williams, Thanks. I usually do some food shopping for uncommon items while there. I will skip that this time. I don't want any trouble at the border. Thanks also to BAK and TravelMaster. Toronto, here I come.
Jun 18th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Just got back from a wonderful trip to Toronto and am happy to report that US immigration is not concerned about SARS, even though there was news of a new case reported while I was there. The border officers do not wear masks even though they stand right next to the driver. It does appear they are more concerned about mad cow disease. Like Daniel_Williams reported, I was asked if I am bringing in fruits, vegetables, rice (?), meat, even specifically asked beef, and alcohol. Everyone crossing was asked for i.d. and proof of residency/citizenship. The wait was not that bad.