Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Another Vancouver airport ? - Need some opinions (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/another-vancouver-airport-need-some-opinions-948263/)

semiramis Aug 27th, 2012 07:33 AM

Another Vancouver airport ? - Need some opinions

More Vancouver airport related? REALLY need some opinions.

On the way back from our trip to Hawaii, we are stopping for a couple of days in Vancouver and I need some advice on the best way to get from and to the airport.
I know there are taxis, limos and the Skytrain available - I am just not sure what will be best for our circumstances.

Us - 3 middle-aged adults (one with M.S. but she moves pretty well - but can get VERY tired).
Arrival - approx 7AM on a Monday
Going from airport to Robson and Denman area.
Would a taxi be likely to be caught in bad rush hour traffic? I assume that we will probably be out of the airport by 8AM. The estimated taxi cost (metered) (as per the airport website is around $32 - is this too optimistic for that time of day?
The best limo price (flat rate) I have found is $55 before taxes and tip. Would it be better to go with that flat rate rather than chance the metered rate? Your opinions please?

Taking the Skytrain (8.75 each) and then a taxi from the Skytrain station is another possibility . Given that our friend has one giant suitcase (we have much smaller ones) - is this at all practical? It 's probably the cheapest (and maybe the fastest). If someone thinks it's a good idea - which Skytrain station should we get off at (given that we are going to Denman and Robson)?

Return to airport to get to Toronto:
Flight out at noon. Planning to arrive at airport by 10AM
How early should we leave the hotel - I am thinking that 9AM should give us enough time - if we take a taxi. If we decide to try taxi + Skytrain - how much time should I allocate?
Any idea what a taxi from the hotel (Denman and Robson) to the airport should cost?

Sorry to overthink this - but I always want everything to be reasonably planned out and smooth when we travel with our friend. Your advice and experiences would be very much appreciated.

BC_Robyn Aug 27th, 2012 01:04 PM

I'd be inclined to go with a taxi, as rush hour from the airport into downtown Vancouver isn't bad - it's the highways outside of Vancouver that are bad.

I used to live in Richmond (the city where the airport is) and uI sed to commute along Granville Street at these hours, and the traffic moves - there's just more volume in the morning, that's all. I'd anticipate you getting from the airport to your hotel in 30 minutes, tops.

The taxi driver will take Granville Street northbound to downtown Vancouver. As they drive over the Granville Street Bridge, I'd encourage them to take the Beach Avenue/Pacific Blvd route west to Denman Street, because that way you bypass the worst of the down traffic. It's also a scenic route - it follows the waterfront.

This is why I'd probably discourage the Skytrain, because there are 3 of you (so it's not as cost effective as a solo traveller), and then closest stop to Robson/Denman is the Vancouver City Centre station, which is at Georgia/Granville... which is the heart of downtown Vancouver. From there you'd have to climb up escalators and stairs, and flag a cab in the heart of rush hour gridlock. The drive normally takes 5-6 minutes, but in rush hour, 10-12 minutes.

So you're looking at a bit more hassle for the same amount of time for a little bit less money. See how you're feeling when you arrive. If you feel up for the adventure, go with the Canada Line. If you feel like no hassle, hail a taxi and know you'll be at your hotel in 30 minutes without having to transfer or carry your bags along the way.

BC_Robyn Aug 27th, 2012 01:10 PM

To answer your question on your way back, a taxi from downtown Vancouver to the Airport - budget for $40, although it'll likely be less.

You can leave at 9am if you want to take the Skytrain (the Canada Line). You'd have to call a cab, and they'd drive you from Denman/Robson to Vancouver City Centre - a $8 to $10 cab ride, perhaps. Again, to drive this distance should take all of 5-6 minutes.

From there you'd then go down the stairs/escalator, purchase your two-zone fare ($3.75 each if it's a weekday, $2.50 each if it's a weekend) and hop on the train bound for "YVR Airport" (NOT the Richmond-Brighouse). These trains come every 6 minutes as they alternative (this train goes to Richmond, the next train comes 3 minutes later to the airport, the following train comes 3 minutes after that to Richmond, the following to the airport, etc.)

Then it's a 25 minute ride to the airport.

BC_Robyn Aug 27th, 2012 01:11 PM

Ack, ignore my typos. Sometimes my fingers type faster than my brain can think. ;)

semiramis Aug 27th, 2012 04:21 PM

thx for the great advice - this is just what I wanted.

I think we will definitely take a taxi from the airport and probably a taxi to the airport - $40 is still cheaper than a limo.

violetduck Aug 27th, 2012 07:37 PM

Semiramis-thanks for posting. Leaving for Vancouver in a week and also need to get to Robson-Denman from airport. I have been checking options and had decided on taxi. After reading posts think that it is a good choice. Enjoy your trip.

Sam_Salmon Aug 28th, 2012 08:41 PM

The only fly in the ointment when taking a taxi is the fact that at least 15 different companies have a concession to work the taxi rank @ YVR-there's a chance you could end up with some driver who hails from a distant suburb and is unfamiliar with downtown Vancouver.

GPS units as supplied in local cabs are notoriously unreliable-to the point where most drivers ignore them-a firm hand on the smart phone might be necessary if you have a specific route in mind.((T))

That being said I've never had any problem catching a cab into town @ any hour of the day or night.