Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Another trip question before I go! (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/another-trip-question-before-i-go-336719/)

horseybreeze Apr 4th, 2008 04:36 AM

Another trip question before I go!

Trying to cram everything on one post so I don't annoy everyone by asking a zillion questions!!!

Myself and my friend are travelling from the UK to Calgary in late September.

Just wondered on the following:

1) Anyone flown using Air Transat? Seems to be very cheap and wondered why?!

2) Anyone used Dollar Car Rental? Also seems as above?!

3) Hopefully driving Calgary - Vancouver via Banff, Lake Louise, H93 to Jasper then down to Kamloops on H5, h99 though Whistler than to Vancouver.. I know it's longer than doing the usual H1, but want to see as much as possible in two weeks!! How much longer would this route be? We have already done this kind of driving around Nevada and Arizona before so we don't mind being stuck together in a car for hours at a time!

4) I presume its safe for two females to do this alone?! Silly question I know, but one needs to check these things!

5) where is a good town to stay on H5 between Jasper and Kamloops? Not sure how big or small each one is!!!

Many thanks!!!

Many thanks in advance for help on this! Regards

ShelliDawn Apr 4th, 2008 07:49 AM

Air Transat is a vacation/charter flight specialty airline. They squeeze as many seats on a plane as possible, so there's usually minimal leg room. But that's also one of the reasons the flights are cheaper. Also, you may have gotten tickets on a charter flight and they're selling the empty seats at a reduced rate.

I think your route between Calgary and Vancouver is a good one, if you give yourself enough time/days. The drive along the parkway between Banff and Jasper is spectacular and should not be missed if possible. It's very safe for two women travel; my friend and I do it all the time.

If you list your proposed itinerary, it would be easier to critique it and give you pointers.

Example

Day 1: Calgary to Banff
Day 2: Banff to Jasper
Day 3: Sight see Banff
Day 4: Jaspert Kamploops
etc...

ShelliDawn Apr 4th, 2008 07:51 AM

Oops, reverse days 2 and 3 in my example. ;)

geebee14 Apr 4th, 2008 10:14 AM

I've flown Air Transat several times with only minor grumbling on one occasion. They are increasing legroom in May 2008. See http://tinyurl.com/3rbpff . An article recently published in a business magazine talked about their noteworthy business success, so they're doing something right. Have a good flight.

horseybreeze Apr 5th, 2008 03:22 AM

Thank you for all your replies. We are hoping to spend 3 or 4 days round Calgary/Edmonton, see the Badlands and stuff in Eastern Alberta, then travel through the Rockies at a leisurely pace and hopefully finish off enough time to see some of Vancouver Island!

Hopefully we'll fit the lot in in two weeks!! :)

lunabug Apr 6th, 2008 12:14 PM

2) Anyone used Dollar Car Rental? ?! ... I have used Dollar in the US. No problems and I would assume same for here in Canada

3) Hopefully driving Calgary - Vancouver via Banff, Lake Louise, H93 to Jasper then down to Kamloops on H5, h99 though Whistler than to Vancouver.. I know it's longer than doing the usual H1, but want to see as much as possible in two weeks!! How much longer would this route be?
... I expect it would add four to five hours total driving time to go Banff - Jasper - Kamloops. I personally think the Icefields Parkway is a don't miss drive so it is well worth the extra time. You should have no problems adding Jasper and fitting it into your two weeks.

4) I presume its safe for two females to do this alone?! ...
I am not female but my wife has made similar trips alone in the area. I would think that the Rocky Mountain Alberta and BC regions are as safe as you can get anywhere. There have been previous posts relating to theft from cars left in more remote parking areas so that may be the only crime concern to be aware of.

5) where is a good town to stay on H5 between Jasper and Kamloops? ...
Jasper and Kamloops are about 4 1/2 hours driving apart plus stops. If you are thinking of splitting this trip up probably Clearwater and the Wells Gray Provincial park is the best place to stop. There are a few motels there and at least one of them is lakefront on Dutch Lake. There is a waterfall - Helmcken Falls a bit out of the town that I haven't visited but looks quite spectacular.