Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   And since we're talking transportation, did you know that Via Rail... (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/and-since-were-talking-transportation-did-you-know-that-via-rail-302030/)

goddesstogo Feb 10th, 2008 02:05 PM

And since we're talking transportation, did you know that Via Rail...

...has a free companion ticket for seniors traveling with someone? It doesn't work for us because our return trip is actually on Amtrak, not Via, but if you're a senior (that is, over 60) traveling on Via in Canada, you get a free ticket for your companion.

I think it's a great deal.

www.viarail.ca

LJ Feb 10th, 2008 04:25 PM

I didn't think there was ANYTHING that would make me long to be 60...goddess, you have opened my eyes!!!!

kodi Feb 10th, 2008 05:58 PM

LJ, just wait til you see all the discounts!!! Shopper's Drug Mart, The Bay, and on and on!!!

Goddess that is a great deal on VIA.

goddesstogo Feb 10th, 2008 06:02 PM

Kodi,
what do I get at Shoppers? I guess I just have to remember to ask at these places. I'm pretty good about the travel stuff but I forget at the stores.

kodi Feb 10th, 2008 06:25 PM

Goddess, I forget which day it is, something like the first Tues of the month or something, and you get 15% off . The same a tthe Bay.. I just don't remember which day it is.
Also at the Bulk Barn, Wed is seniors day... oh so many that I don't even know about .

goddesstogo Feb 11th, 2008 05:50 AM

I spend a fortune at Shoppers. I'm going to remember that.

Somehow the blow of being a senior is softened by the discount. I have to admit, though, that when I was discussing the Via companion ticket in person, with the ticket seller in the train station, I was a little put off that he didn't even question the fact that I was a senior! Ah vanity, thy name is Me. :-D

mitchdesja Feb 11th, 2008 07:08 AM

55 years old is considered a senior at the Bay stores, don't ask me how I know.

I was a few days away from my 55 th birthday and I was given the discount without asking, that just made my day.......not.

I walked past a mirror and caught a glimpse at myself, and thought; "what is my aunt doing here ?"

AnselmAdorne Feb 11th, 2008 07:14 AM

GTG, last time I was talking to the ScotiaBank people they told me that my monthly banking fees would be eliminated in my 60th year onwards. (I just turned 58 at Christmas, so all the discounts and freebies are on the horizon.) It's not a lot: $7.00 a month for my account, but still ... Not sure whether that policy applies to all their accounts or only the basic one, like I have.

Interesting about Via Rail. We might just take it some year to "Upper Canada".

Anselm

goddesstogo Feb 11th, 2008 08:32 AM

AA,
TD has the same deal. They sent me something around the time of my 60th birthday. I think the Via Rail deal is the best seniors thing I've heard of yet. I'll never drive to Montreal again!

john65 Feb 14th, 2008 07:05 PM

my wife and I are booked on silver and blue train from Toronto to Vancouver leaving may 29 We are both over 60 and the savings for us are I pay 100% my wife pays 25% What the big deal abut bening a senior I turned 65 in 2007 and having the time of my life no money but who cares we happy

goddesstogo Feb 15th, 2008 05:07 AM

Sounds like a great trip, John.

I must say that the blow of becoming a senior has been softened considerably by some great, great discounts! :-D

SallyCanuck Feb 15th, 2008 05:47 AM

Like some of the rest of you, I'm depressed for a day or so after they give me the discount without asking.