Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   American moving to Toronto (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/american-moving-to-toronto-331589/)

mabel Jun 27th, 2003 07:02 AM

American moving to Toronto

How difficult is it for an American to work and live in Canada, specifically Toronto? I'd like to move there basically because my family, who lives near Buffalo, needs me close to home for the next few years. But after living in NYC for 5 years, I can't imagine going back to Buffalo. Plus, I don't think I'd be able to get a decent job in my field (publishing). Anyone have any advice? Short of marrying a Canadian, is it feasible for an American to make the move to Toronto?

Daniel_Williams Jun 27th, 2003 07:18 AM

Hi Mabel,
I'm an American working and living in Canada. With a certain level of education (3 years post-BA or BSc), you can be eligible for certain desired positions under NAFTA to get a temporary work permit. I got a position in biotech in Montreal with my Ph.D. I'm not sure if you have say, a Master's in publishing, if that would qualify. A job offer in hand from a Toronto publishing company would certainly help, but there may be stiff competition and in certain companies, Canadians would get preference. Alternatively, you could apply for permanent resident status in Canada, which would allow you to get many kinds of work in the country. Be warned, though, this is a long process that costs a fair amount of money and takes anywhere between a year and two years...I'm doing it, but I've made a life for myself here in Montreal and am committed to trying to stay here. I started my application in January and have been accepted in Quebec and am moving on to the federal, obtaining police records, medical exams, etc etc... It's relatively time-consuming process.

Good luck and if you decide to come to Canada, I hope you'll love it here as much as I do!

BAK Jun 27th, 2003 08:05 AM

Publishing as in books, or as in magazines, or as in something else?

The Canadian trade book publishing business is not prospering, and pays badly, for the most part, and already has an excellent pool of the most senior level executives, on both the general management and the editorial management side.

Foreign sales and foreign rights work might be an opportunity for you, if you have excellent NY and other contacts.

In the magazine publishing business, there are a few small publishers, all struggling; some medium size publishers doing OK, and Rogers Communications at the top of the heap, with the biggest (circulation and ad lineage) consumer and industrual/trade/business magazines.

Again, there's a bigger pool of good writers, editors, ad sales reps and production managers than there are openings. And in the magazine world, it really helps to know the country.

On the retail side, in the book store business, we've got one major gorrilla of a chain that has caused untold grief to the independents, there are some successful special-purpose retailers (mystery books, business books) but generally the retail book business in Canada is run by women, and a few men, almost for the love of it.

And they are not going to be offering well paid jobs to anyone, let alone someone not familiar with the market.

Chapters-Indigo, the big retail company (think Barnes & Noble) is well run, trying to recover from mis-steps of the earlier pre-merger Chapters side, and may possibly have openings for an experienced retailer. There are always in-store floor jobs, but expect terrible pay for most of these, and Toronto is an expensive city.

So that leaves other kinds of publishing ...web, custom publications, association magazines, etc.

Can you work for NY clients via the miracle of the internet?

Quill and Quire is the leading Canadian book trade publication.

Good luck.

BAK

TravelMaster Jun 27th, 2003 02:25 PM

Hi Mabel:

I did it the other way around, as a Canadian I did a 2 year stint with our company in the US (on the TN work visa that Daniel W references as part of NAFTA). A number of people I know of have used the services of InterLynx (www.ilynx.ca) in Toronto to address the work permit issues.

For me it was easy as I'm in the IT field with a degree in Computer Science, so getting a TN Visa was easy, but they have to be renewed annually.

I've taken a quick look at the TN eligable occupations (for Canadians/Mexicans to work in the US) and the closest I saw to 'publishing' was a graphic designer (with a bachelor or higer degree in it required + work experience). The regulations for someone from the US to work in Canada under NAFTA are likely very similar but I'd recommend checking with a service on the options.

But in most of the work visa options you need the job first, then get the work visa.

Hope this helps.

Z

waltd Jun 29th, 2003 06:07 AM

I have only a general reply. If you have the money saved up, you can always rent an apt on the outskirts of Toronto, somewhere along a city bus route, and spend some months scouting out the employment and residence terrain. No special immigration requirements for US citizens to live in Canada for up to six months at a time. You need to depart for a short period of time at the 6-month mark, for how long I'm unsure. Since your family lives in Buffalo you can drop by Canadian immigration there and get the info. Or you can do the same thing by visiting the Canadian Consulate in NYC.