Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

alnd's End Squall Parka OK for New Year's?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Alberta the week between Christmas and New Year's... first in Edmonton and then on to Banff. While in Banff we will be going on the evening sleigh ride at Chateau Lake Louise with Brewster's and on a dogsled ride with Howling Dog Tours. (Not skiing, no long hikes... but will walk around town if the weather is decent.)

I need to buy winter coats for our family for this trip since we live on the coast of central California and rarely wear "real coats" usually just sweatshirts or light jackets.

For those of you who know, would the Land's End System Squall Parkas for kids take care of us? I have three small boys 6, 4 and 2 who will be in cold weather for the first time in their life. I'll get long johns, gloves, snow pants and hats too... don't worry. I just want to be practical. So the warmerst available is what I'm considering. I've read the possible temperatures... but I have no real frame of reference.

Any other advice appreciated!
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

I DID proof my post... just not the title apparently!

Land's End Squall Parka's.

Thanks!
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 07:14 PM

Hi moneygirl-

I took a look at the Land's End website for the Snow Squall System Parka, and I think it will be fine, especially if you also have mitts/scarves/hats, and sweaters or fleece tops/vests to layer underneath.

The westher is always so difficult to predict. For example, here in Edmonton we had a temperature of just "a touch above freezing" last Tuesday, then on Thursday it was balmy at 17.4C (63F), and then the temperature dropped so by today it was only minus 8C (18F), and tomorrow it is forecast to warm up to plus 8C (46F).
I guess my point is that with all the global warming the weather has become quite unpredictable and very variable, so it's best to come prepared for any condition, and when it comes to clothes that means layers, layers, layers!!
So a hooded parka over a long sleeved T-shirt with jeans/long pants and gloves/mitts will be OK for a mild day.
If it gets bitterly cold, add an undershirt, long johns, a sweater or fleece top, warmer socks (or two pairs of ordinary socks), a warm hat and scarf, and of course mitts.

If your boys are anything like my son used to be, or my 3 year old grandson is now - they will generate a lot of heat just by running around, so it's important to keep their head and hands covered even if they say that they feel hot, especially if it's windy, unless the temperature is above freezing.

Hope this helps!!
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 09:06 PM

Moneygirl, Borealis and I have had several discussions about clothing on this forum. I jokingly call Borealis a "fresh air fiend," and I readily admit to being what my kids call a "weather wuss." Unlike Borealis, I moved from Southern Africa's hot climate to Alberta's cold one when I was already an adult. According to Borealis's descriptions of her attire, I dress more warmly than she does. I also dress more warmly than my children, who are natives of Alberta.

I have a Lands' End Squall Parka. It's my favourite outdoor jacket for the mountains -- in spring, fall and summer. I wouldn't dream of relying on it in winter. If it's between -25 deg C and -30 deg C in Banff between Christmas and New Year, as it can be at that time of year, I do not believe you'll find LE Squall Parkas to be adequate.

However, I sympathize with your dilemma. It's expensive to outfit a family for winter if you will have no further use for the clothing. Around here older siblings hand down their winter jackets to younger siblings. In addition to that, families who are friendly with each other pass winter jackets around amongst each others' children. But you don't have recourse to that exchange system.

I'm not all that familiar with shopping in Edmonton. Here in Calgary we have several secondhand stores. A large one that springs to mind is Value Village. I would seriously consider buying winter jackets from VV (or its Edmonton equivalent) if I were you. What I mean is that, even if you are not usually in the habit of buying secondhand clothing, it might be worth considering in this specific instance, just because your kids will only get a week or two out of those winter jackets.

Our winters seem to have been getting milder and milder. As Borealis mentioned, global warming seems to be a factor. This makes it so difficult to predict what you'll need in the way of clothing. You may invest in winter jackets, we may have mild weather, and then the investment in the jackets will appear to have been a waste.

However, even with global warming, there still can be severe cold snaps here and there. I guess you could come with the LE parkas. Then if you encounter a worst case scenario in the form of a very cold front and if you find the LE parkas inadequate, you could buy jackets while you're in the area (in Edmonton or Banff, depending on where you are if and when the cold weather hits).

I can't remember whether or not you were one of the posters to whom we locals gave advice about winter driving. If you have not already read our thoughts on that topic, I recommend that you do a word search for winter driving here on the Fodor's Canada forum.

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 09:51 PM

Hi again,

Just to be sure we were comparing apples and apples rather than apples and oranges, I've visited the Lands' Eng website to check which jackets we're all talking about.

The jacket I own is the one that you mentioned in your thread title, moneygirl. It's the Lands' End Squall Parka. It has a nylon outer shell and a fleece lining without insulation in the body. The price of the kids' version on the LE website is US$69.50. That is the one that I take to the mountains in the spring, summer and fall, and that I believe would be inadequate in winter.

Borealis mentioned that she'd visited the Lands' End website, and she thought the Snow Squall System Parka would be fine for your boys.

I haven't found a Snow Squall System Parka. However, I have found a Kids' System Squall Parka. It's described as a 4-in-1 system, which includes a 550 fill power goose down liner. The present price on the website is US$109.50. I agree that would be a wonderful jacket. Actually it would be very versatile, and the zip-in / zip-out liner would enable the wearer to adjust to varying winter conditions, all the way from mild to cold.

Oh yes, now I've found the Snow Sport 4-in-1 Parka. From its US$99.50 price tag and its description, it appears to be about half way between a regular Squall Parka and a Kids' System Squall Parka in warmth. It has a zip-in lining that's described as being "lightly insulated."

I feel there is a bit of a risk in buying the Snow Sport 4-in-1 Parka, in the sense that it may not be warm enough if you encounter really cold weather. On the other hand, there's a reasonable chance that, with other layers, the Snow Sport 4-in-1 Parka would see each of your boys through his trip to Canada.

Of all the Lands' End jackets, the Snow Sport 4-in-1 Parka would be the one from which you could get the most use once you were back home in California. The nylon outer shell could be worn on its own as a rain jacket. The zip-in lining, which is a reversible fleece/nylon jacket in its own right, could be worn when you had a spell of weather that was cool by your standards.

The regular Squall Parka is less versatile for California, because the fleece lining is a permanent fixture, so would not lend itself to variable weather conditions as readily as the Snow Sport 4-in-1 Parka.

If you and your husband wanted the same versatility that your sons could get from the Snow Sport 4-in-1 Parka, you could buy the men's and women's Extreme Squall 3-in-1 Parkas for US$119.50 each.

Hope the clarification helps.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Just so you know, I have read almost all of the posts regarding clothing, winter driving and hotels in Banff, Canmore and Lake Louise. I always read your comments, Judy and Borealis, with special attention given because I know you are experts for your areas!

I felt silly asking about those jackets on this forum... but it is such a big expense for just a few days! I've decided to go with the very warmest coats they offer, along with the layering technique and the gloves and snowpants for the boys! Also throwing in a few pairs of jeans with the flannel lining. I think all of the snow clothes and boots will go into a large duffel bag in the checked luggage, only to be taken out if it snows or is really cold while we're in Edmonton or when we arrive in Canmore.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Very soon, maybe Friday night if I can get the boys to sleep early, I'm going to post my trip itinerary, much like mrkindallas did a few months ago and get your feedback and suggestions.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 09:39 AM

>>>>>>I've decided to go with the very warmest coats they offer, along with the layering technique and the gloves and snowpants for the boys!<<<<<<

I'm relieved to hear you've decided to go for the warmest jackets, moneygirl. If it happens to be cold when you go on the evening sleigh ride, when you'll be sitting in the sleigh and won't be active, you'll be grateful to be bundled up in warm clothing.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

I just spent $800.00 at Land's End and didn't even get long thermal underware or a pretty scarf for me! Just coats, boots and gloves for 4 of us! (the warmest available squall parkas and a down bunting suit for the baby!)

Ugh!

This trip is costing more than our Australia trip in 2003.

I am still smiling though!

Have a great weekend!
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 06:27 AM

moneygirl:

I hope you don't mind a little more proofreading, but I couldn't resist since you were correcting yourself:

There is no reason to put an apostrophe in the word Parka's in your title. Apostrophes are used to show possession - Land's End, New Year's Eve. Sometimes they're used to indicate that you've abbreviated some letters in the middle of a word. But they're not used to pluralize words (parka, parkas, not parka's).

Have a great time in Alberta.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 06:58 AM

Thank you, Lynne Truss.

As you will know, there are 8 uses for the apostrophe, two of which do indicate plurals.

As well, "Land's End Squall Parka's OK for New Year's?" is correct if the meaning is: "Is a Land's End Parka OK for New Year's?"
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 12:30 PM

I thought there was a general understanding on Internet forums that people wouldn't be pedantic about grammar and spelling.

However, for those who want to get into minutiae, the company's name is Lands' End. Apparently the person who originally registered the company name intended it to be Land's End (like the place of the same name in the United Kingdom), but he/she made a mistake.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 01:37 AM

lavendereye:

You got me. I am always willing to have my grammar, punctuation and spelling corrected (as long as you're laughing with me, not at me). Thanks.

I must admit it is almost impossible for me to resist proofreading, as I used to work for a firm where the motto was "Proofreading is a competitive sport". One of the other consequences is that I'm rather thick-skinned about it, and I forget that others might not feel the same way.

Now that I've moved to France, the joke is on me, since I can't spell in French to save my life, and I also seem to be losing my ability to speak English correctly.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:12 AM

Being a hot weather type, I get cold in the Canadian Rockies in August! (Of course last August 30 temperatures were so low there was ice where we were staying.)

In late December I would look like the Michelin Man because I would be so bundled up in fat coats.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 08:33 AM

Someone's been reading Eats, Shoots, and Leaves. Lol.