Alberta, best time of the summer to go

Nov 3rd, 2001, 07:14 AM
Dennis

Alberta, best time of the summer to go

I am planning on visiting Alberta during the summer of 2002, stopping in Waterton NP, Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper and Edmonton, as well as Glacier NP in the US. I am planning on doing some hiking along the way. What is the best time to go: June, July, or August? I am looking for pros and cons.

Nov 3rd, 2001, 09:11 AM
ja

Hi, Dennis,
Definitely June - before school is out in Alberta. Much fewer tourists, by far! If you go in the second to third week of June, weather is not too bad for hiking/camping (by Alberta standards), about 12 to 20+ for daytime hoghs (Celsius), and above 0 at night. You may see the occasional (but rare) road closure in the higher elevations, like Cavell road in Jasper, if the winter snow accumulations were high, but we've been having less snow than usual in winter lately.
ja

Nov 5th, 2001, 12:35 PM
xxx

for fewer tourist, june is definitly the best but could still be cool. if you book ahead and don't mind the "crowds" then from past years, i'd go the start of august. that's been the best weather the last couple of years. or, after labor day in september if that's an option.

Search this Thread