Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to pass the time during 2 months in Québec?

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to talk myself into spending two months in Québec to do a language course. The classes only last until noon each day. I would need to fill my time the rest of the day and on weekends. But I'm discouraged by the posts I keep reading that say more than three days in the city is too much.

So, what is there to do in Québec? If I bring my two sons with me, what is there that they might enjoy? I've not found lots out there as most Canada travel boards are not very active.

Thanks for any information and/or websites you may suggest.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 08:37 PM

Hello crepes a go go!

Here are some websites that may help you with your concerns:

http://www.bonjourquebec.com/anglais/

http://www.quebecregion.com/e/

http://www.quebecweb.com/tourisme/introang.html

http://www.movingincanada.com/Quebec/QuebecCity.htm

You know, visiting a place is not the same as living there. The posters may be saying that - in tourist terms - they could see everything that they wanted to see in three days (although I find that hard to believe!).
You may have lots of fun just "discovering" the place in day-to-day living terms, meeting new people, making friends and having the opportunity to use the French that you learn, and discovering the differences and similarities between Canada and the USA.
You may find that you love it so much you won't want to leave!!

I think that you are very lucky to have this opportunity - visiting Quebec is like visiting Europe without having to go across the ocean!!!

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 10:42 PM

>>>>>>You know, visiting a place is not the same as living there. The posters may be saying that - in tourist terms - they could see everything that they wanted to see in three days (although I find that hard to believe!).

You may have lots of fun just "discovering" the place in day-to-day living terms, meeting new people, making friends and having the opportunity to use the French that you learn, and discovering the differences and similarities between Canada and the USA.<<<<<<

What Borealis said is so true, in my opinion, Crepes_a_go_go.

I've never been to Quebec City, but I repeatedly run into a similar scenario on Fodors' Australia board, where I also participate.

People say Melbourne is inferior to Sydney, and I just want to tear my hair out. I lived in Melbourne for 2.5 years, and it's a lovely, lovely city in which to live. But one doesn't fly into Melbourne and go, "Wow!" as is the case with Sydney. There is no question that Sydney, with its harbour, its other wonderful waterways, its opera house, and its harbour bridge, is a gorgeous city. But Melbourne is the most charming city you can imagine, and it reveals something else to the new resident with each passing day. After 2.5 years there I feel I only scratched the surface of it.

As I said, I've never been to Quebec City, but I can well imagine that this place that supposedly can be "done" in 3 days has way more to offer than that.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 01:58 AM

I've always said that if there was one place I would consider moving to it would be Québec City.

As posted above, living there and visiting as a tourist are 2 different things.

It's a good base for exploring different areas (Charlevoix, Lac St-Jean) and you may find that 2 months isn't enough!!

Good Luck
Richard
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 06:16 PM

Quebec is a great city to live in!!
Especially if you live in the Old Quebec.
There is Grande Allée where there are all the different kinds of bars/pubs/discos/upper class places.
You can go enjoy the great Plaines D'Abraham park, the Place D'Youville skating rink (or place with talent people in the Summer), shop on St-Jean street, take the Traverse (Lévis) just to see the view of Quebec, take a guided tour of the Chateau, go slide near the Chateau on Terrace Dufferin, visit the Citadelle, eat a Queue de Castor (the best pastry ever!!), go to the Musée de la Civilisation (multi topic with changing exhibitions), etc etc etc...
And wayyyyyyy more activities. When I was in Quebec city, I had a different activity to do every weekend!
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 10:07 AM

You won't be bored spending two months in Quebec City! I think you made the best choice.

You are mentioning taking your two boys with you - I don't know how old they are, but you might enjoy going to the multi-sports complex "Village Vacances Valcartier" (http://www.valcartier.com) - on their Web site you can see the winter activities, but in the summer they have great waterslides.

You also mentioned renting a car - excellent idea. Take an afternoon drive to the lovely countryside on île d'Orléans, go see the Montmorency falls (impressive) or take the lift up Mont Saint-Anne. If you can take a whole weekend getaway, drive up the beautiful Charlevoix area (http://www.tourisme-charlevoix.com/en/accueil/index.asp).

As for things to do in Quebec city itself, you will find lots to do on the web sites already posted... The Civilization Museum is a must-see, in my opinion, some of their exhibitions are especially for kids... Also in the summer time there are many festivals.

Have a great time!
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like there's fun in store for everyone. My sons are 10 and 15 years old, so a little bit of a spread there. And one is into sports and the other is not. But if it all works out, and I get to bring them with me, we will get to do lots of exploring.

Now on with my inquiries into finding an affordable place to rent for the two months. Anybody got any leads on that? What is the main newspaper of Québec - do they have online classifieds perchance?
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 07:34 PM

"Le Soleil" and "Journal de Québec" are the main newspaper, but for on-line classifieds, look at www.lespac.com under "immobiler > location and sous-location".

BTW, a nice way to see the Montmorency falls is by bike.