Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Acadian (and other) Music in Cape Breton (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/acadian-and-other-music-in-cape-breton-801722/)

Happyfella Aug 18th, 2009 06:48 AM

Acadian (and other) Music in Cape Breton

I'll be near the Cabot Trail for 3-4 nights in late August, staying at least one of those nights in Aspey Bay. Where can I find live Acadian and other Nova Scotian music at night? Is there any near Aspey Bay or in Cape North, which would make things easier as I don't want to drive on the Cabot Trail in the dark? Is there live music (is it called Cape Breton music?) to be found in Pleasant Bay, Cheticamp or Ingonish? If so maybe I'll also stay one night in one of those places. And do you agree that it is probably not a good idea to drive on the Cabot Trail in the dark?

timsmom Aug 18th, 2009 12:14 PM

Definitely do not drive the Cabot Trail in the dark - you will miss all the beautiful scenery plus you may just hit a moose - not good for you or the moose.

When we traveled, we stopped at the Gaelic College near St.Anns - very interesting music museum and heard some bagpipe players - not Acadian music but definitely Nova Scotian.

I believe there is a place near Mabou on the Island - have you checked the Nova Scotia tourism website? If you phone, they may have up-to-date information.

Enjoy and happy travels!

Happyfella Aug 18th, 2009 01:56 PM

Thanks much. I don't intend to drive much of the Cabot Trail at night, but just in case I leave Aspey Bay to go to hear live music and have to drive back--that was the context of my question. Do you know when the sun sets in Cape Breton Islands and Newfoundland in late August and early September? Best, RC

LJ Aug 19th, 2009 05:54 AM

It will not be pitch-dark until after 8pm this time of year.

However, it is actually at dusk that it starts to get tricky for moose. Don't let this shake you too much: August and early September are not peak moose-hitting months...not like, mating season in May/June when the big lugs turn into total morons when it comes to to the rules of the road!(You'd think they couldn't read the signs...)

You should be just fine...some folks visit the Cape Breton highlands and never see a moose at all: they are, when not love-struck, very reticent about showing themselves.

Careful driving will eliminate the problem altogether.

Happyfella Aug 19th, 2009 07:45 AM

Thanks, LJ. I've enjoyed your posts on the Cape Breton and Newfoundland forums--excuse me if it is a no-no to mention other forums or to praise an individual's post. I'm new to these forums.

LJ Aug 19th, 2009 09:53 AM

It is sure not a no-no for me! I am from Newfoundland originally but DH and I have had the opportunity to live in 4 different provinces and 3 other country's because of my/our life's work. It is great fun sharing my passion for the places I have lived and love. Plus time spent playing around on Fodor's is time I am not staring at the blank page I am supposed to be filling with copy!

Happyfella Aug 19th, 2009 12:50 PM

LJ, I know the feeling of facing a blank page, for I have been a reporter/editor on four newspaper; and have written a book on Wilt Chamberlain.

Though I am not and have never been a sportswriter--even though I wrote a book about a famous basketball player--I love to read the great Red Smith, one of my early writing heroes, who once said, "Writing is easy. All you do is stare at a blank sheet of paper until beads of blood form on your forehead."

Happyfella Aug 19th, 2009 12:52 PM

timsmos, Time permitting, I am going to try to visit the Gaelic College; thank for the tip.

Happyfella Aug 19th, 2009 12:54 PM

timsmom: excuse my misspelling your screen name

Hellion Aug 20th, 2009 01:29 PM

We just visited Cape Breton (loved it!) and chose it partly for the music. Our impression was that music was fairly easy to find, if you look around. There were ceilidhs around Mabou (the Glenora distillery has a pub that had a daytime one, I think) and there's a celtic music interpretive center in Judique that has ceilidhs Sunday and Wednesdays, I think (we went on a Sunday, the music was excellent). http://www.celticmusicsite.com/performance/events.php

The Red Shoe Pub in Mabou has live music on some nights as well. We saw signs for live music in various stores around Cape Breton, so I'd guess you could look around or ask people in hotels or restaurants about what's going on that night.

That's not really near where you're talking about, it's down near the bottom of the island, but worth it for the music.

Happyfella Aug 20th, 2009 07:48 PM

Thanks, Hellion. I'll check out the website and look forward to being surrounded by, and at times immersed in, music while on Cape Breton.