Search

Montreal: Good Hotel for Formula 1 Race

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montreal: Good Hotel for Formula 1 Race

Hi

I'm booking this tomorrow for my husband and brother, and I have no idea where I should try to put them.

They will be driving from New York City, and neither of them have any ideas about where to stay.

They would like to be able to walk and take public transport to the race, and maybe spend less than $200 per night. Since they will be driving, they will need a place to park and leave the car.

I would truly appreciate suggestions, even just for neighborhoods if not specific hotels.

Thanks.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 08:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Try the Hampton Inn Pointe Claire or Holiday Inn Pointe Claire. It is a short drive to either Pointe Claire or Beaconsfield train station where parking is free. It is also a short drive to the Pointe Claire Village. They can park there and take the 211 bus to the metro.

Mark
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Mark. I've obviously not done this yet. Is Pointe Claire suburban? What sort of area is it? Both men are city dwellers and were hoping to just park the car and forget it for a couple of days. Is that possible?
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 03:28 PM

Pointe Claire is quite suburban and I'm not sure why Mark suggested it. I don't think I'd stay there for the Grand Prix. There are lots of downtown hotels close to the metro which would be much more convenient.

Prices go up during the Grand Prix, but I'm sure that you could find something under $200 at places like the $ Points Sheraton on Sherbrooke West or the nearby Delta.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 11:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes and no. It is suburban in some parts and historical in others. I suggested it because of your price requirement, ample free parking and proximity to commuter trains.

You can expect to pay around $400 to $600 for a downtown hotel on Grand Prix weekend.

Incidentally, IMO, the best way to get to the track is to take the boat. (www.navettesmaritimes.com)

Mark
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 02:54 AM

My apologies. While I knew rates rose during Grand Prix Weekend, I hadn't expected that they would more than triple. I think that the chances of getting a downtown hotel for $200 a night are almost non-existent.

Pointe Claire would actually be a nice place to stay if you don't want to pay the big bucks for the convenience of proximity to the track.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 06:09 AM

Well, I know that my friends that come up to Montreal from Tri-State area had booked early enough with a travel company called Montreal Nightlife Tours. They got rooms in 3.5 to 4 star hotels (standard major chains, I think they stayed at the Holiday Inn on Sherbrooke in downtown Montreal) for $200 a nite! so it is possible... and I wouldn't suggest Pointe-Claire for the two highways are always gridlocked during that weekend. My parents live out in the West Island and it's unfortunate how the public transportation is quite infrequent! No Metro, train is infrequent and the buses are just as bad as the car traffic.

Check out their site, they've worked for us before and it was a flawless booking!
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 06:12 AM

There are many choices. While the prices do go up during race weekend, I still think you can get a good hotel for under $200.
On Sherbrooke the Holiday Inn, Sheraton, Marriot Courtyard, and the Delta Montreal are virtually side by side. This is a very desirable area, less than 2 blocks from the Metro, in the heart of the downtown. The Montreal Grand Plaza is another choice, closer to the Plateau neighborhood (very French), and right over a Metro stop. I would much prefer staying in the city than the outskirts. Montreal is such a great city to walk around in the evening.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the answers. I didn't book this yet, because I've been busy and because I was clueless. In the morning, I will search the spots mentioned here. Thanks.

I have seen things in the price range my husband and brother were looking for, but I just didn't know what a decent location might be. This is great information, and I will post back on what I find. I am just going to take the best price out of the places mentioned here, because although they want to be central, they don't need anything fancy.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

OK, another question: is Guy Street a good location? There are available hotels, at less than most of the Sherbrooke St hotels.
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Booked! The Grand Plaza Montreal Centre-Ville for $279 per night, two beds, covered parking $16.50.

It was difficult to find a hotel with rooms in the center. Thank you all for your help.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 06:35 PM

Holel Royal Versailles is 10mins from downtown, near a metro, and has reasonable rates. It's booked up for F1, I have two rooms I am trying to get rid of: I booked 2 rooms for friends from out of town and they canceled their trip and the bookings are non-refundable! Anyone who wants one or both rooms should contact me for details. You would just take over my booking at the hotel, going through THEM, not me, so this isn't a scam or anything.

Both rooms are for June 12 and 13 nights, checkout June 14th, double bed rooms.
Link to their website:
http://www.royalversailles.com/english/Reservations.php

Contact me if you are interested.
[email protected]
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 04:40 PM

They should stay at the residence at Concordia university - nobody knows about it! It's downtown, costs $99 + tax for a room with two single beds, a fridge, internet, phone and a sink! http://vpservices.concordia.ca/summerhousing. I used to live there it's rad!