Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   A short note of thanks and appreciation (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/a-short-note-of-thanks-and-appreciation-244186/)

Tim Tilt Jul 29th, 2002 02:15 PM

A short note of thanks and appreciation

I know I have only just posted a question on this board but this is just to say how happy I am with all the lovely things said on this board about NS/NB and PEI.We are flying into Halifax from the UK on the 18th of September and leaving on the 8th of October.Because we have hired a motorhome it seems from reading a great amount of the messages that it will be reasonably possible to get round most of the interesting places and coastal locations in the 3 provinces.Does this seem an unreasonable or maybe to great an expectation to hope for? I would be really pleased to hear from anyone who thinks this is or not is possible.<BR>Many thanks once again--Tim

Tanya Jul 30th, 2002 04:13 AM

You should have plenty of time to do a visit in each province. I would recommend leaving Cape Breton towards the end of your vacation. The leaves might be prettier at that time. PEI is the smallest Province and a few days there should give you enough time to explore. I am not that familiar with NB, but fairly large province with much to see. To do the full province of Nova Scotia you would need at least a week. Cape Breton alone takes about 2-3 days at a leisurely pace. <BR><BR>I would suggest you head to Digby from Halifax (you may want to take a few days in Halifax and explore) and then take the ferry into Saint John and explore NB. You can then take the Confederation Bridge to PEI and when exiting the province take the ferry to Pictou. This will take you close to the Cabot Trail.

Tim Tilt Jul 30th, 2002 08:46 AM

Many,many thanks Tanya for your reply.We had noticed in one of the guides we have obtained, a farmers market in Halifax on the weekends and fully intend to visit this along with possible other attractions there(we are really into arts and crafts and associated "bits and bobs")I must admit from what I have read in different guide books and messages on this board Cape Bretton sounds wonderful.We are hopefully looking forward to a quiet and uncluttered holiday in the provinces.<BR>Many thanks Tim

LJ Jul 30th, 2002 11:47 AM

My daughter who attends university in Halifax introduced me to the market...what a treat! Try the hot baked beans, the wonderful artisanal breads and the speciality honeys-enjoy the buskers and the craft vendors while sipping on Annapolis Valley cider. <BR><BR>Personally, I loved New Brunswick. I would recommend the drive from Fredericton to St. John along the St. John river as particularly picturesque in a pastoral stepping-back-in-time sense. We also loved St. Andrews-by-the-Sea, especially delightful when the crowds have thinned out-your timing exactly. Have a wonderful trip.

Brian Kilgore Jul 30th, 2002 01:06 PM

there's a story in Canada's national Post newspaper today about how drivers of motor homes like to stop in Wal-Mart parking lots. theexample is Yellowknife, but the theory applies across North America.<BR><BR>If you try www.nationalpost.com and use Wal-Mart or RV or Yellowknife as a search term, you might find the story.<BR><BR>BAK

Tim Tilt Jul 30th, 2002 02:00 PM

Thanks LJ the farmers market has just definetly gone on "the to do"list.As regards your comments about NB I am starting to wonder if we have given ourselves enough time to go here,there and everywhere(LOL).I especially liked the mention of the crowds thinning out- this is exactly what we are hoping for.

Tim Tilt Jul 30th, 2002 02:14 PM

Thanks for the note Brian I went on to the site and read the article and the mental image of sixty or so RVs in the Wal Mart car park in the morning as staff come to work when none were there the night before I found amusing. Apart from the obvious financial saving it beats me what any one in a motorhome can find appealing being parked up in a car park overnight.On the many times we have taken a motorhome in the US and Canada we have always gone out of our way to find a really nice campground to stay overnight or maybe a few days at as this is part of the fun and relaxation of our holiday.I suppose the old saying rings true "to each his own".