Notices

A month in Atlantic Canada

Jan 18th, 2016, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

A month in Atlantic Canada

My husband and I are planning on a trip to Atlantic Canada, starting and ending in Halifax at the airport from May 8 through June 4. We were originally intending to rent a car and camp, but it seems that in general, camping isn't available until about the 20th of May. Now I am thinking of targeting 3-4 base points where we could rent a vacation cabin and do day trips and hikes. We are in our 60's and can manage about 12-14km hikes quite easily and also have some kayaking experience (we are from Vancouver Island) and would love to get out on the water if it's possible. We are on a budget and we are more interested in the outdoors, people, food (including beer and wine) and music than we are in museums, shopping, traffic and galleries. Neither of us have ever been to Atlantic Canada, so we are really interested in making the most of this opportunity and would appreciate any and all suggestions.
Jan 22nd, 2016, 04:19 PM

Geez, that is a healthy amount of time, and without a break-neck itinerary already halfway in place. (Could be very nice)

With all of that time, I think I'd first just sit back and note the highest priorities, scenery-wise, and they are (hopefully)

Cabot Trail, NS

Hopewell Cape, NB

... and then accept those as givens... and build all around that.

First, if you envision yourself far enough west to go to Hopewell Cape, NB, then decide whether you want to add PEI to your itinerary.

I sense that PEI would be excellent as one of your spots - you can find a 'base' as intended, and do day trips to most anywhere on the island.

If you want a hike that I liked, (elsewhere)... I would look into Cape Split, NS.

Hopefully the time of year you have selected will offer up decent value for your tourist dollar in many areas.

In all fairness, I am more used to people on this forum having much less time, and a couple of their own specific ideas which I then can help build around.

At any rate, you could click on my name and scroll down/back... and find plenty of Nova Scotia-related threads that I've posted on. I'm sure you'd find plenty of ideas and details in them.

But do return to this thread if you pinpoint more specifics for yourselves.
Jan 30th, 2016, 01:30 PM

Hi, I'm in the process of planning my East Canada trip as well. Some different base points might be:
1. Halifax -see Lunenburg, the ovens, Mahone Bay, Chester, Blue rocks, Peggy's cove
2. Cape Breton-you could rent a cabin in the national park, hike trails all day. Day trip to Louisbourg, and North Sidney
3. Newfoundland-Gros Morne national park
4. PEI-we are renting a cabin and using it as our base
5. Moncton-magnetic hill, hopewell rocks/fundy national park
Jan 30th, 2016, 09:29 PM
ltt

i'll just throw out a few thoughts for you to consider...
- although it might be chilly at night, i highly recommend camping. that early in the season you wouldn't have to worry about fire bands; the campgrounds won't be full so you could get the pick of some great ocean front spots. i camped for 2 1/2 weeks in nova scotia and wish i had had another 5 days. stayed in pei for another week and new brunswick for about 5 nights.
- i checked a few campsites and one opened may 13 and one opened on the 15
- many campgrounds have cabins you can rent too if you think it will be too cold. so you get the cabin but you still get the joy of the fire at night; cooking outside if you want; etc, etc. fundy national park and cape breton national park have cabins and/or tentiks
- i think about 4 nights would be good for pei. it's very popular for it's beaches which, of course, you'll be too early for.
- i never got to nfld because with the ferry time and distance of travel between places, i didn't think i had enough time. in my opinion, you would need a full week.

Search this Thread