Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   A few days in Halifax (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/a-few-days-in-halifax-1722121/)

Helen40 Apr 27th, 2024 03:23 AM

A few days in Halifax

Hello, I'm hoping to spend a few days in Halifax early July (flying in and out)

I love nature, walking, scenery, wildlife, but would also stuff unique to the local area, especially food.

Looking for advice on whether to stay in the town, whether I would need a car, is a few days enough for that area? Suggestions for what to visit.

I'm on a budget, but not wanting to miss out on stuff as I'll probably never go there again!

Many thanks,
Helen.

Daniel_Williams Apr 28th, 2024 08:46 AM

Hi helen40 again

I have had lovely visits to Halifax without a car although it is nice to have one for the ease of visiting popular nearby spots like Peggy’s Cove, Mahone Bay and Lunenburg. I do like Halifax proper; the Public Gardens, the Citadel, Point Pleasant Park and views from the Dartmouth ferry are delightful and the city has some well-done museums. Seafood is unsurprisingly good in that part of the world; an outing I did to Fisherman’s Wharf offered up an excellent lobster roll I recollect although there are some recommended spots in downtown Halifax. A few day visit would make for a nice overview (at least three I’d say if you have a car).

Hope you enjoy your time in Atlantic Canada!

Daniel

Helen40 Apr 28th, 2024 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel_Williams (Post 17557877)
Hi helen40 again

I have had lovely visits to Halifax without a car although it is nice to have one for the ease of visiting popular nearby spots like Peggy’s Cove, Mahone Bay and Lunenburg. I do like Halifax proper; the Public Gardens, the Citadel, Point Pleasant Park and views from the Dartmouth ferry are delightful and the city has some well-done museums. Seafood is unsurprisingly good in that part of the world; an outing I did to Fisherman’s Wharf offered up an excellent lobster roll I recollect although there are some recommended spots in downtown Halifax. A few day visit would make for a nice overview (at least three I’d say if you have a car).

Hope you enjoy your time in Atlantic Canada!

Daniel

Hello again Daniel :-) ,

The places you mention, are they doable in a day by car? Or even staying at? Halifax seems quite a bit bigger than St John's and I'm not a city gal.
Seafood sounds good, but I'm guessing I can get that in St John's too?

Thanks,
Helen.

Daniel_Williams Apr 29th, 2024 07:04 AM

Hi Helen,

It is doable to visit Peggy’s Cove, Mahone Bay and Lunenburg in one day but not sure I’d recommend. In fact, I recollect that’s what I did my first visit to Halifax but I also recollect feeling like we were rushing around a lot too.

I’m coming from Montreal so my perspective may be influenced by that but Halifax although a city, is on the smaller side, and there are areas that are quietly charming and even delightfully tranquil amidst nature (like Point Pleasant Park).

Daniel