8 nights in the Canadian Rockies

May 7th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

8 nights in the Canadian Rockies

We'll be flying into Calgary on Fri 7/30 and departing Mon 8/9. Here's out tentative itinerary:

7/30 - Late night flight arrival, spend the night in Calgary

7/31-8/2 Banff
Looking at Rocky Mtn Ski Lodge in Banff

8/3-8/4 Jasper
Waiting to hear from Becker's Chalets

8/5 - 8/8 Lake Louise, Yoho
Tried Stephen Creek Guest Cabins, but they're out of cabins. Any suggestions for similar lodging for ~ $150 CAD around Field, BC

Is two nights in Jasper enough ? Any other suggestions / recommendations for lodging ?

Thanks in advance!

May 7th, 2004, 05:40 PM

I'd definitely spend more time in Jasper than at Lake Louise, since there's really not much to do around the Lake Louise area that would take more than a day or so, while Jasper is a town with far more amenities and things to do. In Jasper, I found that Decore Hotels (who own 3 properties there), provides for a wide range of budgets, and has some good packages.
May 7th, 2004, 05:41 PM

Baker Creek chalets near Lake Louise are charming cabins, in the woods by a babbling brook, 8 minutes away from Lake Louise, 35 minutes away from Banff (and I estimate about 20 to 25 minutes from Field) - they are worth considering. I'm not sure what their rates are for this summer though.

You may be able to find that information and other suitable accommodation by browsing through the Travel Alberta website:

http://www.explorealberta.com/

Banff, Lake Louise and Field are close enough that you could actually make one your home base for visiting the whole area. Lake Louise is the most central of all three.
If you are planning 8 nights in the Rockies, I think that you have enough time to spend three nights in Jasper (two full days). And I would recommend driving all the way to Jasper at the beginning of your stay, and then slowly making your way back to Lake Louise & Banff while seeing all the sights etc. - you'll spend less time driving back and forth that way.
May 8th, 2004, 02:11 AM

I think 2 nights in Jasper will enable you to see the main attractions.
In Field, several private homes have overnight facilities. The homeowners have built small apartments as part of their homes.
Park headquarters in the past has furnished a list of "parks approved" accommodations. I am not sure what "approved" means.

There is a dated list on the web.
Put Field Accommodation Guide into yahoo or Google and I think you can come up with it. I say dated because the prices are listed as being cheaper than they are today.
May 10th, 2004, 06:41 AM
ltt

make your reservations banff soon. the weekend you are coming in is a long weekend and banff will be very busy.
May 10th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Doh

I wouldn't cut Lake Louise/Yoho down to a day-- there are a lot of beautiful places to visit/hike around there.
May 10th, 2004, 10:28 AM

If your budget permits, I wouldn't miss the famous Sunday brunch at the Banff Springs Hotel. It was $36 CAD last year but well worth it. Amazing buffet with an amazing view. Also in Banff, drive up the nearby Mount Norquay. It offers a great birds eye view of Banff without having to go up the Gondola (of course, that's fun too).

Either on the way to or back from Jasper, make sure to do the Snocoach tour on the glacier. It's a quick tour but worth it.

In Jasper, don't miss the Lake Maligne boat tour (very beautiful scenery). Do the morning tour and eat lunch in the restaurant by the dock. Also, try and pay a visit to Mt. Edith Cavell. It's about a 30 minute drive up the mountains from Jasper, but then you reach a short hike to the base of the beautiful mountain. There is even a huge lake there with iceburgs scattered all around. It is quite the site. Two nights should be enough in Jasper.

In Lake Louise, certainly don't miss Morain Lake, my wife and I found it much prettier than Lake Louise. The color of the lake is amazing. Try and rent a canoe too, if you have the time. Don't miss Takkakawa Falls in Yoho (I think).

On the way north from Lake Louise, certainly don't miss Peyto Lake and Bow Lake. When driving to Jasper, make sure to leave plenty of time either on the way there or back to stop at the many overlooks. You will want to spend several hours doing this. So plan on the trip up of back taking at least 6 to 7 hours with the stops (straight shot is only about 3 hours).

The only other advise I can give you is to not try and stay at too many different places. Stay in either Banff or Lake Louise for all of your Banff/Lake Louise/Yoho excursions. And then stay in Jasper for areas around there.

Please let me know if you have any other specific questions. We stayed at the Rimrock and got a great rate. It has fantastic views.

Good Luck and have fun.

Dan
May 10th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to all for the advices / suggestions.

We now are changing our itinerary for drive straight to Jasper for the first 3 nights (7/31-8/2) and spend the rest of the nights in Canmore.

BookemDano, I checked out Rimrock and their rates are out of our range. But we will definitely take up your recommendation on the Sunday brunch at the Banff Springs Hotel. I'm not sure if you have tried the buffet at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, but if this brunch is anywhere close to the quality & variety of food, then it's money well spent (with a view =)
May 10th, 2004, 02:41 PM

If you want to see the most beautiful lake in the Rockies, spend a day at Emerald Lake which is just west of Field. Lovely place for a picnic and a walk around the lake.
May 11th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Doh

It depends on your preferences for moving hotels, but if it was me and I was staying in Canmore, I think I would see if I could also find someplace to stay around Field (or I think there are places south towards Radium that might serve as a single base?) to cut down on driving to places around LL, Emerald Lake, etc.
May 11th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Yes, our original plan was to spend a few nights in Field, for exploring LL, Emerald Lake, etc. , but we have been unsuccessful in finding lodging for a reasonable price, ~$150 CAD. We inquired about vacancy at Stephen Creek Guest Cabins in Field; they're totally booked out til end of August.
May 11th, 2004, 02:43 PM

Hi Jd2jc,

Don't know if you've tried Lake Louise Inn. Their economy double room goes for C$159 during the high season. It doesn't have a kitchen. They do have rooms with kitchens, but they're outside of your price range.

Another place to consider is Kootenay Park Lodge. Its most expensive cabin, which includes a kitchen, fireplace and separate bedroom, is C$129. I'd never heard of it till Laurafromtexas told us here at Fodors that she'd booked it for her upcoming trip. I don't know that it's really any closer to Lake Louise and Field than Canmore is, though. Still, it's something to consider if you haven't already looked into it:

http://kootenayparklodge.com/

I don't know if you've tried all the links on this page that lead to Field accommodation in your price range:

http://www.field.worldweb.com/WheretoStay/

But, if Field falls through, Rocky Mountain Ski Lodge in Canmore is supposed to be nice too.