Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   8 Days, Pregnant Wife, Itinerary? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/8-days-pregnant-wife-itinerary-76562/)

Roger Jun 19th, 2000 05:23 AM

8 Days, Pregnant Wife, Itinerary?

Thinking of flying from NYC to Nova Scotia for a week this summer. Looking for peaceful locations by the water where we can relax and drive to see sights. Wife will be approximately 6 months pregnant so need to avoid anything too strenuous, at most a couple of casual scenic hikes. Checking out some of the info. thought we might split our time between Lunenburg and Mahones Bay area and Cape Breton. Prefer a nice B&B or Inn by the water. Suggestions on itinerary, places to stay, and things to do would be much appreciated. Does it make sense to drive roundtrip to Cape Breton or should we fly to Sydney for one or both legs? Would like to minimize excessively long drives for her sake.

Jody Jun 19th, 2000 11:27 AM

Hi Roger, <BR> <BR>I think the two areas that you are thinking about will be the most scenic and restful. I can't really recommend any B&B's or Inns in particular because there are so many. If you check out the Tourism web site you will find many listings. <BR> <BR>As for the driving, the drive from Halifax (which is about an hour and a half from Lunenburg) to Cape Breton (beginning of Cabot Trail or Sydney) is about 5 hours. Your wife might find that a bit long. Also it is not a very scenic drive. The downside of flying is that for such a short flight from Halifax to Sydney, the cost is not really cheap. As much as I love Cape Breton, if cost is a factor and you don't want to drive, I would stay in mainland NS. The Annapolis Valley and Digby is quite beautiful as well and not that far from Lunenburg. <BR> <BR>Jody

jackie Jun 19th, 2000 11:46 AM

Roger, <BR>We did a similar trip when I was 7 months pregnant - we went to New Brunswick and PEI so can't help with accomodation. I just wanted to pass on some mistakes we made. <BR>It can get surprisingly hot in the Maritimes in summer and pregnant women really feel the heat. We stayed in B&B's usually without airconditioning and I really felt it - couldn't sleep some nights. Also private bath is very nice since often pregnant women use the washroom more frequently (not all of the B&B's that we stayed at had private washrooms). <BR>One last thing, if your wife has any problems with swelling in her ankles or feet, from sitting so long, she should sit in the back seat with her feet up. <BR>We had a wonderful trip and I hope you do too!

Roger Jun 19th, 2000 12:13 PM

Thanks for the replies. A private bath is a requirement and will keep in mind your comments about air conditioning. Always a preference but might have considered doing without it all the way up there. Jody, you were right about the flights. About $272 USD roundtrip for a 1 hour flight. That is actually more than the fare from NYC to Halifax. On Cape Breton, what areas are good to stay? Seems like there are some nice places in Baddeck but it also might be nice to stay on the Cabot Trail. Probably don't want to move from place to place too much.

Jody Jun 20th, 2000 06:27 AM

Baddeck is at the beginning of the Cabot Trail and considered to be on the Cabot Trail. So that would be a good spot to stay for sure. It also has some of the nicest places to stay in my opinion. However, it may be a long drive to go all the way around the Trail and back again to Baddeck for the second night. If you leave early in the morning to do the Trail then you should have no problem. You will make frequent stops for pictures and scenery along the way so it shouldn't feel like a long day. <BR> <BR>Jody

Roger Jun 20th, 2000 07:41 AM

Starting to put something together. Thinking of a place called Haddon Hall in Chester for 4 nights, followed by a drive to Cheticamp for 1 night (whale watch stop), then on to Baddeck for 3 nights. Thinking of Auberge Gisele in Baddeck. Other possibility would be Gowrie House in Sydney Mines which sounds great but perhaps less centrally located than Baddeck. Ingonish is another thought. Drive back to Halifax and stay one night there to fly out in the morning. Could possibly cut Chester to 3 nights if the time is better spent elsewhere. You have been helpful thus far and any further thoughts on these places or the itinerary would be greatly appreciated.

Jody Jun 21st, 2000 05:53 AM

Hi again, <BR> <BR>Haddon Hall in Chester is quite beautiful. I think that both of you will love it there. The town is also so quaint and nice. The view from Haddon Hall is amazing. I wouldn't recommend that you cut short your stay there as there are many close places to see such as Mahone Bay and Lunenburg. <BR> <BR>Cheticamp is right on the ocean and a great place for whale watching. I would recommend that you stay in Baddeck rather than Sydney Mines. Baddeck is a very pretty town and I don't recall that Sydney Mines is all that attractive. Also it makes more sense to stay there as it is at the end of the Trail and more convenient. Ingonish is a nice spot that you will want to stop and visit but Baddeck is the better place to stay. More restaurants and the view over the lake is gorgeous.

Roger Jun 22nd, 2000 06:01 AM

Thanks once again. Here is how the itinerary is stacking up. 3 days in Chester/Lunenburg/Mahone Bay, 3 days in Baddeck, 2 days at Keltic Lodge, 1 night in Halifax before departing. My biggest concern at this point relates to the need for Air Conditioning. Haddon Hall has it. Would like to stay at Duffus House Inn in Baddeck which does not have it. An alternative would be Inverary Resort which is also on the water but not as quaint. Keltic Lodge does not have it, but I would imagine that that would probably be o.k. given the location and the fact that there are ceiling fans. Want to make sure things are comfortable for my wife when sleeping at night. How much of a concern should this be in those areas on Cape Breton?

Jody Jun 23rd, 2000 05:01 AM

Your itinerary sounds great. I don't think that you should worry about air conditioning too much in Cape Breton. It does not get as hot as mainland NS and from what I have heard, it is not as hot as New York. Keltic Lodge is perched up on a hill and you will always have wonderful breeze blowing through there. Have a great time!