Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   7 day trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/7-day-trip-641700/)

lindmar Aug 24th, 2006 04:03 PM

7 day trip

Hello:

My wife and I are flying in to Halifax on Sept.9 for a 7 day stay to celebrate our 30th anniversary. Neither one of us have ever travelled to the east coast.We were thinking of staying in one central location like a nice B& B,renting a car, and venturing out daily to hit the highlights-Peggys Cove,PEI,the tides ,Cape Breton,etc. Is it feasible to stay in one location and make day trips to visit the best of this area or should we be staying a few nights here and a few nights there ? And if this is the better option can you recommend some B&B's ? We have read about Julies Walk and a few others but you never know if a website reflects reality. Our preference would be oceanfront but it is not a necessity. Thanks for your help.

keymom Aug 24th, 2006 04:40 PM

PEI and Cape Breton are not day trips from Halifax. In 7 days, you should concentrate on Halifax and one other spot. You could probably work the tides into your intinerary. Peggy's Cove is a day trip from Halifax. It's a beautiful part of the world!

juliaelzie Aug 24th, 2006 05:29 PM

Peggy's Cove is SO gorgeous; I thought it was more beautiful than the picture I have seen in my lifetime. It is about a 45 minute drive from Halifax, and maybe 2 hours time to visit, take pictures and shop at the wonderful little shops in Peggy's Cove. It is very tiny, but very beautiful.

Be sure to visit the Titanic/Maritime museum in Halifax. You can walk along the waterfront to some wonderful pubs and to see the restored buildings from Halifax's early days. Look for bagpipes played by gentlemen in traditional Scottish attire. Halifax is a working fishing city, but the people are lovely and Scottish tradition is everywhere.

You might consider staying a few days in Halifax to see the city, visit Peggy's Cove and then, drive to Cape Breton Island for a few days. You can return to Halifax for your flights.

Regards,
Julia

lindmar Aug 25th, 2006 02:30 PM

High:

Thanks for the advice Juliazie and keymom. Our trip has just been whittled down to 6 days arriving on Sept.8 and departing on Sept.14. We are now planning to stay 2 days in Halifax during which time we will vist Peggys cove and the Titanic museum. We also want to spend 2 days in PEI. Is it worth it or is Cape Breton Island better ? Can we do both ? What about Lunenburg-is it really good ?Also want to see the tides. Where will we get the biggest bang for our buck in 6 days ? Thanks for your help again.

irecommend Aug 25th, 2006 04:15 PM

If you love history and beauty then I would do two or three days in Cape Breton. The fortress of Lousiburg shouldnt be missed and the Cabot Trail is super. If you just want to relax maybe golf and sit on super beaches then PEI is the place

Celiaanne Aug 25th, 2006 05:06 PM

I'm sure many will not agree, but I didn't find PEI nearly so interesting or scenic as Cape Breton/Cabot Trail. It was nice, but I've never had a desire to go back....

lindmar Aug 26th, 2006 06:11 AM

Thanks-more great advise. Can anyone tell me what normal or typical weather is in early September ?

Governator Aug 26th, 2006 08:37 AM

A favorite spot: Blue Rocks

keymom Aug 26th, 2006 11:37 AM

I think you need to save the tides for another time. I assume you fly in and out of Halifax. So think about 2 days in Halifax, including a drive to Peggy's Cove. Then head up to Cape Breton. Pick a couple of places to spend the night. One of them should be the Keltic Lodge in Ingonish. It's a lovely spot and you'll have a very romantic dinner. We had planned to include Louisbourg in our trip but ran out of time. You would need to plan to arrive there the night before, tour in the morning and then return to Halifax. Be sure to Mapquest your route to make sure that your driving times are realistic!

lindmar Aug 27th, 2006 05:49 AM

Thanks you-the trip is becoming much clearer as to what we can and cannot do in 6 days ? WE are thinking of spending our first 2 nights in Peggys Cove and making some shorter day trips. Has anyone stayed at the Havenside B& B , or Rum Hollow B&B ? We would then head off to Cape Breton Island for 2 days (stay at the Keltic Lodge) ,and then finishing off in Halifax.Does this sound like a reasonable plan ? Thanks for your help.