Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   6 Hours in NF (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/6-hours-in-nf-736272/)

Ajolder Sep 13th, 2007 12:44 PM

6 Hours in NF

My wife and I will be taking a visitor, who has never been there, to tour NF. This will occur on Sat Sep 22 and we have about 6 hours for touring plus time for dinner. As many years have passed since we have been to NF thought I’d ask for your recommendations regarding:
1. Itinerary/sights to see. We will have car.
2. Restaurant. Cuisine and $ not critical. Ideally could combine view plus food quality but if not advise why you suggest what you do.

Many thanks in advance.

ShelliDawn Sep 13th, 2007 02:50 PM

Does "NF" refer to Newfoundland? I did a search for Newfoundland topics and this post didn't come up, but I can't think of anything else that would be abbreviated NF. However, your post seems to imply it refers to a city.

ShelliDawn Sep 13th, 2007 02:52 PM

Never mind the above post. It just hit me that you must mean Niagra Falls. :)

kodi Sep 13th, 2007 03:38 PM

You aren't crazy ShelliDawn. I thought it was Newfoundland too.

wow Sep 13th, 2007 04:38 PM

Me too! And, my interpretation was even worse: 6 hours for Newfoundland?? Crazy! I live near Niagara Falls but did not even think of Niagara Falls as being NF!! Ajolder, maybe you want to re-post w/ Niagara Falls in your title?

toedtoes Sep 13th, 2007 07:05 PM

Definitely do the Maid of the Mist. It's well worth it. The actual boat tour is 1/2 hour plus a good 1/2 hour in line (but it's worth it!).

Then spend a least an hour just walking along the pathway between Rainbow Bridge and Table Rock enjoying the view of the falls. It's free and pleasant.

With the other 4 hours, you have a few options:

1. Drive along the Niagara Parkway and enjoy the scenery along the way to Niagara on the Lake. Maybe stop at a winery or two(you could do dinner at one of the wineries rather than in NF).

2. Do the Carnival. Get into the spirit of Clifton Hill and celebrate the "tacky" experience. While lots of folks say it's not worth it, if you go in knowing it's like going to the fair midway, it can be a lot of fun. The restaurants can be more expensive. I got a personal pizza (provides 4 large slices - with salad, you could feed two people) for $10.

3. Do one or more of the other activities in NF: Journey Behind the Falls, Niagara Aviary, Butterfly Conservatory, White Water Walk, hike the Niagara Glen, etc.

4. Go over to the New York side and walk around Goat Island, do the Cave of the Winds tour.

That gives you a few different ideas to account for personal interests.

Ajolder Sep 14th, 2007 04:50 AM

Sorry for any confusion. Since I was in "Ontario" section of forum I presumed NF would be interpreted as Niagara Falls, not Newfoundland, which I didn't think was in Ontario.

kodi Sep 14th, 2007 05:00 AM

Ajolder, unless we were doing a search of ONtario, there is no way of knowing that the post was in Ontario. Just going onto the forum, it lists all Canadian posts and does not specify what province.

ShelliDawn Sep 14th, 2007 07:34 AM

...and the official abbreviation for Newfoundland is NF. So when most Canadians see that, that's what they think of. :)

LJ Sep 14th, 2007 07:54 AM

Actually this abbreviation for Newfoundland and Labrador (where I am from originally) is NL.

(BTW, I know this sounds snarky: it is not intended that way-I am just a stickler for getting Newfoudland and Labrador information right and I was about to post a detailed agenda for a 6 hour layover in St. John's!)

ShelliDawn Sep 14th, 2007 08:52 AM

No worries LJ, I didnt' interpret any snarkiness in your post. And I learned something, which is always good. However, I feel a little sheepish about not knowing Newfoundland and Labrador was abbreviated NL and not NF. :-[

wow Sep 14th, 2007 02:44 PM

But, isn't Newfoundland NF?
And, Ajolder: Kodi is right...we do not know that you are posting about Ontario. Where you posted comes up under Canada. There is no reference to Ontario.

kodi Sep 14th, 2007 02:57 PM

Shelli, I feel sheepish too!!!

LJ, can you please send me an email. I don't seem to have your address.
[email protected]

wow Sep 14th, 2007 03:20 PM

Sorry for being so stupid! Now I get it...it's Newfoundland & Labrador...hence NL. There is no Newfoundland so no NF