Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   4 days: quebec city - or - montreal? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/4-days-quebec-city-or-montreal-554936/)

tinac06 Aug 28th, 2005 05:36 PM

4 days: quebec city - or - montreal?

my friend and i (both 30) are looking to spend 4 days (3 nights) end of october in quebec city or montreal. from reading all of your posts, it sounds like that may be just enough time for quebec city. it sounds historic, beautiful, a great getaway from the states (chicago). here's my question: is there little to no nightlife in quebec city? i'm not interested in a party town by any means but it seems like montreal is so notable for it's nightlife..... if it's just that it's larger and therefore has more to offer, that's cool. but, i'm interested in what you've done in quebec city for evening fun and if you think we'll be bored spending 3 nights there. thanks!

tinac06 Aug 28th, 2005 08:28 PM

also - does it sound like too much of stretch to take a side day trip to quebec? i'm having a hard time choosing b/t the two, but i know 4 days (only 2 whole days) isn't a long time.

mikielikesit Aug 28th, 2005 11:37 PM

There is nightlife in Quebec City, but it pales in comparison to Montreal, which is world-reknowned for such entertainment. You could spend one night in Quebec City as a side trip if you wanted, it is 3 hours away by car (or train). I think Montreal would be a better choice, especially if you wanted to spend the whole trip in one place. Nobody ever said Montreal was boring.... EVER. The bars and clubs are packed most nights of the week... something I find rare in most places I've been.

zootsi Aug 29th, 2005 04:33 AM

Quebec City does have some nightlife, but 3 nights there might be too much, unless you are going to explore some of the outlying countryside. I would do 2 nights in Montreal, one in QC.

bardo1 Aug 30th, 2005 04:20 AM

tina,

Don't be tempted to do both! That 3 hr drive could easily be 5 hr+ depending on traffic, road construction, or other unforseen problem. You'll spend too much of your short time driving.

3 or 4 days is a perfect time frame for seeing all of Quebec city (and yes there is nightlife).

Montreal does have more to offer as it is a huge city but you could certainly hit the highlights with 4 days.

I suggest you simply pick the one that appeals more to you and your friend and save the other for "next time".

sobolik Aug 30th, 2005 03:22 PM

I am from Milwaukee. Let me say, please dump your focus toward night life and experience these jewels for what they really have to offer. You can get a better night life in Chicago anyway. But If you reject my advice then go to Montreal for the needed night life. If you accept my advice definatly fit in Quebec City. (2 days Montreal, 1 day QC and 1 "day" total driving at 6-8 hours grand total) See these 2 Cities for the culteral historical uniqueness that they have to offer and you will never regret those 4 days with out a night life. The drive between the 2 cities was very inconsequential. I assume you drive Chicago? If so the drive will be like a walk in the park for you.

mikielikesit Aug 31st, 2005 03:29 PM

I beg to differ... Chicago nightlife is way more uptight and therefore not as much fun as Montreal. I've experienced both. Secondly, the driving in Montreal is not a walk in the park... in fact its far from it. Montrealers are notorious for disregarding commmon rules of the road (ie. stopsigns and lights are merely a suggestion, as are lane markers), the roads themselves are confusing to navigate, and compounded if you don't understand French. All signs in Quebec are in French ONLY.