Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   2 days in montreal (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/2-days-in-montreal-111416/)

t simspon Mar 11th, 2001 06:12 AM

2 days in montreal

i have a saturday night and sunday in montreal. i like jazz and am staying in place du canada. Can anyone recommend a decent jazz club to visit . I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to fill my sunday. Are there any good markets in the downtown area?

Daniel Williams Mar 11th, 2001 11:29 AM

Hi T Simpson <BR> <BR>Biddle's is the only jazz club in Montreal that I've been to; I enjoyed it but am not an expert. The jazz scene I think you'll find relatively rich though; remember Montreal is home to one of the world's premiere jazz festivals in the summer. Check out the alternative weeklies Mirror and Hour when you're there for more information, as well as the Gazette, Voir, Ici Montréal and La Presse if you read French. <BR> <BR>There's lots of SHOPPING downtown but it's more upscale, high-fashion/trendy and a few reasonably-priced boutiques. If you want a MARKET per se, there are sidewalk markets downtown from time to time but not every weekend and usually in the spring/summer/fall. The closest MARKET would be the Atwater market just west of downtown and easily accessible by Metro, bus and/or taxi. (Not even 10 minutes from the downtown core.) <BR> <BR>You should have no trouble thoroughly enjoying yourself in Montreal on a Sunday. If you like to shop, check out Ste. Catherine St. O. downtown for mainstream fashions, Boul St. Laurent and Boul St. Denis for more alternative fashions. There is also plenty of entertainment of most varieties to be had on a Sunday in Montreal. Check the weeklies previously mentioned! <BR> <BR>Have a great trip! <BR> <BR>DAN

ME Mar 22nd, 2001 09:38 AM

THERE IS A GREAT PLACE CALLED PUB MCKIBBONS...OBVIOUSLY IRISH. THEY HAVE GREAT MUSIC ON WEEKENDS AND OVER ALL A VERY FRIENDLY AND FUN PLACE TO HANG OUT. <BR>IT IS ON RUE BISHOP. DOWNTOWN, AGOOD REST. IS THE BLEU MARIN.

Desiree Mar 24th, 2001 05:44 AM

My husband and I loved Biddles on Alymer(metro McGill)just south of Sherbrooke. Live Jazz 7 days a week and the best BBQ we've ever had in our lives!!:o) <BR>

Curt Mar 26th, 2001 07:45 AM

For great Irish music every night of the week with good beer and good food check out Hurley's Irish Pub on Rue Crescent....GREAT PLACE!!!!

Bonnie Mar 27th, 2001 03:54 PM

When I found myself downtown in Montreal on a Sunday I headed to a great restaurant called Egg-something, someone help me with the name!, and then on to the Art Gallery, an imposing building on Sherbrooke.

tmn Mar 30th, 2001 09:36 AM

Egg-cetera -- very good!

Daniel Williams Mar 30th, 2001 10:49 AM

Bonnie could be talking about Eggspectation too.

Donna Apr 1st, 2001 07:21 AM

In the nice weather, a fabulous place to spend a Sunday afternoon is wandering about Place Jacques Cartier, with lunch (wonderful salads, crepes, sandwiches) at Jardin Nelson (a multi-level courtyard with trees), where there is live music - usually jazz, but sometimes pop or classical.