2.5 days in Halifax: Itinerary review

Jun 16th, 2019, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

2.5 days in Halifax: Itinerary review

Will be in Halifax very late the evening of 6/28 to afternoon of 7/1. Staying at airport the first night and Doubletree downtown the other two.

Sights:

Must do’s

Art gallery Nova Scotia

Halifax commons and town clock

Public gardens

Maritime Museum: Opens 9:30 am

Government House: 10-4 tours

Walk Waterfront boardwalk (purdys, cable, bishop’s landing)

St Paul Anglican church

Maybe:

Museum of immigration

Citadel? What is there to see?

Peggy’s Cove – tour? 1 pm to 4:30, leave from Maritime Museum

Point Pleasant park? Kinda far

Food:

Planned dinners at Stories and Chives. Lunches at Bicycle Thief and Morris East. One lunch left to plan.

Lunch: Stubborn Goat? McKelvie’s (having lots of lobster rest of trip though)? Henry House?

Questions:

1) How vital or neat is Peggy's Cove? Could take a tour 1-4:30 pm but that kind of cuts into a good chunk of the day. Would leave about 2 sightseeing days left and I think nearly everything else on my Must Do I could do. I suppose it would likely be between this tour and Museum of Immigration? Museum topic isn't as appealing as others but have heard is great.
2) Point Pleasant Park seems a bit too far to walk, right? If I'm seeing the public gardens and commons, is there anything unique about this park?
3) Last lunch suggestion?
4) Is there a quick way to get out on the water a little bit? Ferry like to Dartmouth? Tour? Or just not worth it, given everything else?
5) How early do I need to arrive at Halifax airport to make 4:45 pm flight to Boston, with a carry-on and Global Entry? X320 bus could drop me off at 2:10 or 3:10.
Jun 17th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

bump
Jun 19th, 2019, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Any thought son the above?
Jun 19th, 2019, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by JoeTro View Post

4) Is there a quick way to get out on the water a little bit? Ferry like to Dartmouth?

There is a cute little passenger ferry over to Dartmouth, and it is all you need for getting out on the water a little bit IN the Halifax area.

I went to the Maritime Museum years ago and found that while they had a good assembly of Titanic related stuff, the rest was just a less-than-stellar effort at collecting random-ish artifacts to fill-out a "museum". I had more draw to the Titanic cemetery than I did to the museum.

Peggy's Cove certainly is scenic and picturesque, and if I were mired in the list of stuff on your schedule then the tour to Peggy's Cove would liven it up a bit.

Have you ever BEEN to Nova Scotia before in any capacity?

If not, then I think you should become Joe Truro for a day and rent a car and drive to see the Fundy tides.
Jun 20th, 2019, 05:39 AM

1. You could probably see everything in Peggy's Cove about 15 minutes. Although being on the water is picturesque.

2. It is a long walk to Point Pleasant Park from the Double Tree Hotel on Hollis Street if that is where you are staying. Good location to see all the sights. There is not too much to see at Point Pleasant Park so I would rather go to the Halifax Public Gardens which is an old Victorian-style park, lots of flowers, swans and paths. Perfectly groomed not like Point Pleasant Park.
3. Do not have any recommendations for last lunch as it has been awhile since I have stayed in Halifax.
4. Take the ferry to Dartmouth as you will see Halifax Harbour and be on the water. The ferry ride is not long.
5. Check with your airline for checking in Halifax to the U.S.
Jun 20th, 2019, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Set for Sunday brunch at Stubborn Goat.

Peggy's Cove sounds nice but seems like is no public transportation, right? Just the tour?

Would really enjoy Tidal Bay but seems a bit too far.

How impressive is Immigration Museum?
Jun 20th, 2019, 06:53 PM

If you are referring to Pier 21 where the Immigrants landed, I found it quite interesting. On your return date, July 1, is the Canada Day celebration. It may be busy in downtown Halifax. Some places you want to visit may not be open that day.
Jun 21st, 2019, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Most sites will be open, and Pier 21 is even actually free!