Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   14 Days in Nova Scotia PEI (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/14-days-in-nova-scotia-pei-634490/)

redcat777 Jul 27th, 2006 11:11 AM

14 Days in Nova Scotia PEI

I have several questions.
1.My beloved and I have 14 days beginning 30 September through 14 October to fly into and out of Halifax. We would like to spend the time in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. Should we push up the vacation by one week for better weather?
2. We need to know if 14 days is too much time for just those two. We enjoy relaxing and getting a good sense of places so we thought 2 days Hali, 4 days Cape Breton, 4 PEI, 2 final in Halifax. Is this good and would we be missing something really great in New Brunswick? Actually we need to know what not to miss for the whole trip.
3. Suggestions on first class hotels, eating ("must eat" kinds of food or atmosphere) and general fun stuff would be welcome.

I have gleaned much information on great things to do from other fodorites, but if there is any other gem that anyone could contribute that perhaps noone has covered would be appreciated.
Thanks

ltt Jul 27th, 2006 11:48 AM

while i could easily fill 14 days in nova scotia, you could split it between the two islands.
4 days in cape breton is good. i would also add on the town of pictou for a visit (don't need to spend the night there if you don't want to). it is very close to the ferry that goes to pei if you are taking that one way.
during one of the days that you are staying in halifax, you should visit peggy's cove, lunenburg, mahone bay area. you can do this on a long day trip from halifax or stay one night down there if you don't like a lot of driving.

NorthwestMale Jul 27th, 2006 06:17 PM

TO REDCAT:

I wouldn't bother contemplating the weather because YOU cannot out-guess the Fundy Fog.

Sure maybe the average temperature might be 1 degree higher with a week earlier but don't bother altering your original window of time.

The first "don't miss" for the whole trip is the FLOWER POT ROCKS (Hopewell Cape, NB)--- not terribly far from the bridge to PEI, BUT you have to go VIA MONCTON to get there, so catch it on the way to or from the island.

I don't mind what you've written in terms of nights allocated to the spots you wish to see. In addition to seeing Hopewell Cape on one side, I believe some exploration in the Wolfville-Kentville-Digby area on the other side of the bay is worthwhile.

Also, you're doing a round-trip to PEI, so I say take hwy #6 from Stellarton-Pictou-Wallace-Amherst on the was from Cape Breton to PEI.

Then, when on the way BACK from PEI, go Sackville-Amherst-PARRSBORO-Truro-Halifax.

Once your scenic tours get FOGGED-out for a day or so, delaying you, you'll have filled your time just perfectly.

As for must eats... the only thing I'd never pass taking a shot (chance?) at IF IN SEASON... would be the "McLobster Sandwich" at McDonalds!!! (where else are you going to get that????)

FauxSteMarie Jul 27th, 2006 06:48 PM

Your trip plan is perfectly doable. I spent two weeks on a home exchange in Halifax in the 1990's. We did take overnight trips out of the house to go to Cape Breton and PEI.

Since you asked for luxury hotels, you should investigate the Keltic Lodge on Cape Breton. I did not stay there, because, not spending much time in a hotel room, I did not want to pay resort prices. I did see it and it looked stupendous, but only if price really is no object.

oliverandharry Jul 29th, 2006 01:34 PM

We stayed two nights at Keltic Lodge, and while the dining room is excellent and the views unsurpassed, this is not which we would consider a luxury hotel. There is NO a/c and we needed it! Rooms are small, baths are average - not really spectacular for the cost.

scifiordie Aug 4th, 2006 04:54 PM

You may already know this - the celtic fall celebration will be going on while you are there. Lucky you.

sailorgirl2001 Aug 5th, 2006 05:38 AM

We stayed at the Keltic Lodge last fall (during Celtic Colours) and I would certainly recommend it. Yes, the rates are high during the summer months, but in the fall they offer some very economical packages. My husband played the Highland Links golf course while I had a very relaxing day in their new Aveda spa.

Weather-wise is iffy......especically in October. You get some glorious fall days mixed with cold, rainy, nasty ones. You probably won't need shorts, but with jeans, sweaters, a fleece and a rain jacket you'll be fine.